Philippines' top judge sacked over graft

The Philippines' top judge was sacked on Tuesday after the Senate found him guilty of hiding millions of dollars, in the biggest win of President Benigno Aquino's anti-graft campaign.

Following an impeachment trial lasting more than four months, Supreme Court chief justice Renato Corona was convicted of violating the constitution and betraying public trust by failing to disclose his wealth.

Two thirds of the 23 senators were required to convict Corona and 20 found him guilty, paving the way for him to become the first chief justice in the nation's history to be removed from office.

"In accordance with the 1987 constitution, the judgment of conviction by the Senate impeachment court results (in Corona's) removal and disqualification from public office," Aquino's spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, told AFP.

Aquino had repeatedly said removing Corona was crucial to ending a culture of corruption that pervades all levels of Philippine society and that he alleged flourished during Arroyo's near-decade in power ending in 2010.

Aquino won a landslide election and succeeded Arroyo after campaigning on a platform to eradicate the graft that he blamed for the country's widespread poverty.

He quickly went to work by sacking Arroyo appointees in government organisations, as well as a top government prosecutor seen as sympathetic to her.

But he said Corona, a Harvard-trained lawyer and longtime ally of Arroyo, was blocking his efforts to fight graft while protecting the ex-president from prosecution.

Aquino maintained Arroyo had illegally appointed Corona to the post of chief justice in the days before she handed over power, in violation of a constitutional ban on "midnight appointments" by outgoing presidents.

Corona then enraged Aquino late last year when the Supreme Court overturned a government order banning Arroyo from leaving the country.

Arroyo was arrested at a hospital shortly after government officials blocked her at Manila airport while trying to leave. She is now in detention while on trial for vote rigging.

In December, Aquino's allies in the House of Representatives impeached Corona, sending the complaint to trial in the Senate.

Corona, 63, was also officially accused of unlawfully trying to protect Arroyo from prosecution.

However no verdict was delivered Tuesday on the protection charges after Corona was found guilty of the first offence of failing to disclose his assets.

Corona admitted last week during his trial that he had not disclosed more than $4 million in bank accounts.

But he said $2.4 million in US dollar accounts were protected by a law allowing absolute secrecy for foreign currencies, and the other money in Philippine peso accounts belonged to his relatives.

Corona insisted his wealth was accumulated legitimately through his long legal career and by his family.

Aquino's critics alleged that, in his zeal to go after Corona, the president breached constitutional provisions ensuring the separation of powers between the government, the legislature and the judiciary.

But various opinion polls showed widespread support for Aquino.

The president also enjoyed the backing of the military, crucial in a country where coup attempts and dictatorship have featured in recent political history.

His office released a short but subdued statement after Tuesday's verdict welcoming the Senate's decision.

"Mr Corona is merely the public face of the things that ail our justice system," Aquino's spokeswoman, Abigail Valte, told reporters.

"Let us never forget that those who come to court, be they rich or poor, must do so in the expectation of receiving impartial justice from those who uphold both the spirit and the letter of the law."

Corona issued a statement saying he accepted the verdict.

"If this is for the public good, I hereby accept the Calvary (punishment) that we are going through, because from the start, I have always been ready to offer my own life for our people," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    North Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two missiles into the sea on Monday and vowed "merciless" retaliation as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre rattling. "And if there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the North …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

  • Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR
    Pacman mega fight tax exemption up to Congress, BIR

    Malacañang is leaving it up to Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to consider a proposed special tax exemption for boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in his much-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday it will have to be discussed by Congress because lawmakers are the ones who enact tax exemptions, special or general. Pacquiao has been dogged by unsettled tax obligations with the BIR. …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options