Kamagayan village chief to investigate tanods

KAMAGAYAN, Cebu City Barangay Captain Raquel Avila will investigate all the public safety officers who were on duty when a 12-year-old boy was allegedly molested by their fellow tanod.

She wants to know why no one noticed the suspect, July Olmos, and his alleged victim John (not his real name) when the incident happened between Dec. 9 and 10, 2019.

The 35-year-old suspect reportedly left the barangay after he was reported by the boy’s guardians to the police.

Avila denied the allegation that Olmos had been living on the third floor of the barangay hall before the incident happened.

“He actually has a house with his family. That room on the third floor is for the barangay tanods and they use it as their place to rest,” she said.

Labella’s order

For his part, Mayor Edgar Labella said he will order the City Legal Office (CLO) to investigate Olmos.

He will also issue a memorandum to all 80 barangay captains in the city, telling them not to let employees live in the barangay hall as this is illegal.

Labella also wants the CLO to file a complaint against Olmos if the accusations against the tanod are proven true.

Olmos has been a tanod in Kamagayan for nearly five years.

Reported

John’s guardians reported the alleged child abuse incident to the Parian Police Station’s Women and Children’s Protection Desk.

In an earlier interview, John’s aunt Jessica (not her real name) said they discovered the alleged abuse last Thursday, Dec. 18, after the boy complained about having difficulty urinating.

She said her nephew told them the incident happened while they were practicing for the “Pasko sa Uptown” contest between Dec. 9 and 10 on the fourth floor of the barangay hall.

Jessica said she, her mother and John confronted Olmos last Dec. 18 at the barangay hall, but Olmos first denied the accusation.

Aside from her nephew, Jessica said she was told that Olmos also molested four other minors. (WBS)