Kidnapped Australian in PHL not hopeful of freedom

Warren Rodwell, the Australian national who was kidnapped in southern Philippines last year, has expressed little hope that he will be released by his abductors who are believed to be members of the notorious Abu Sayyaf bandit group.

In a video that was posted on the video-sharing site YouTube, a gaunt-looking Rodwell said: “I do not expect to be released before the year 2013 at the earliest. I personally hold no hope at all for being released. I do not trust Abu Sayyaf.”

Related story: Australia welcomes proof Philippines hostage alive

Rodwell, who was 53 when he was snatched from his home in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay, on December 5, 2011, was shown holding the December 15, 2012 issue of the broadsheet Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The nearly two-minute video was posted December 25, 2012.

“This video clip today is to say that I am alive. I am waiting to be released. I have no idea what’s going on outside. I’m just held prisoner in isolation,” Rodwell said.

Reached for comment, Maj. Emmanuel Garcia of the Armed Forces' public information office said they have yet to verify the authenticity of the video, which Rodwell said was recorded on December 15, 2012.

The Australian Embassy has yet to issue a statement regarding the video.

Also read: PH among most terrorism-hit countries

Negotiations Rodwell said he is aware of the negotiations being conducted for his release, although he added that he has not been receiving updates on it.

“I understand there are some negotiations. I do not get any information, updated information. The people around me normally don’t speak English. I understand something is happening but I don’t know when,” he said.

The Australian government has thumbed down the Abu Sayyaf’s $2-million ransom demand in exchange for Rodwell’s freedom, citing its no-ransom policy.

The Australian government, through its Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, has also issued a “Do Not Travel” advisory on Central and Western Mindanao as a result of the kidnapping.

In other news: Philippine cops in the dark over kidnapped M'sian duo

It was reported in May that Rodwell pleaded for his release in a video dated March 26.

In the video released on January, he asked his family to “please do whatever to raise the two million US dollars they are asking for my release as soon as possible."

In his recent video, Rodwell said he does not trust the Abu Sayyaf and the Australian government: “I just don’t trust anyone.

Personally, I don’t care.” The footage ended after Rodwell looked at whoever was holding the camera and asked,“Is that it?". — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options