Korean firms brace for restructuring

Korean firms brace for restructuring

By Kim Yon-se and Park Min-young in Seoul/The Korea Herald/16 November 2012 =

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - About 15 percent of South Korea's 600 major enterprises said they plan to conduct corporate restructuring amid growing uncertainties at home and abroad next year, a poll showed Thursday.

According to a survey on the 600 largest firms - in terms of sales scale - by the Federation of Korean Industries, 62 percent of the respondents said the business environment was projected to worsen next year.

The FKI, a business lobby, said it has found that 15 percent of the respondents are mapping out plans for restructuring such as reduction of its payroll, sales of some assets and scrapping some business sectors.

The poll showed that 46 percent of the 600 firms picked weaker domestic demand as the key negative factor, 28 percent with worsening conditions for exports and 15 percent with rising cost burdens for raw materials.

As for corporate investments next year, 40 percent said their investments next year would remain at a level similar to this year's, while 27 percent said they will cut down on investments by a small margin and 9 percent by a large margin.

This shows that companies have conservative investment plans due to bad economic conditions at home and abroad.

In particular, a growing number of firms in the business and financial sectors recently launched a manpower restructuring scheme.

Samsung Card, a financial unit of Korea's biggest conglomerate Samsung Group, will receive about 100 voluntary redundancy applications starting next week.

More than 3 percent of total employment will be slashed.

Executives as well as regular employees will be subject to the restructuring plan, reports said, and retirees are expected to receive a retirement allowance worth two years' salary.

"It is true that we are examining the voluntary retirement program, but the exact number of employees to be withdrawn or retirement conditions are not yet decided," said a Samsung Card spokesperson.

Industry insiders say that the worsened profitability of the company resulted in the restructuring plan. Its operating profit for 2013 is expected to be down by about 169.6 billion won, according to Taurus Investment Securities, due to various reasons including the new credit card commission fee system, decline of credit card users and the sluggish economy.

Speculation is growing that other financial units of Samsung Group may begin restructuring plans as well. Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance is receiving voluntary retirement applications until this month from employees who served at the company for more than 12 years.

While Citigroup Korea is moving to join the manpower restructuring mode, SK Communications carried out an early-retirement program last month amid declining profitability.

According to a poll by the Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade on 557 firms, 162 of them responded that they have been under contingency mode in their management.

Another 178 firms of the respondents said they are likely to follow suit within six months, the institute's data showed.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Muslim group calls for universal peace
    Muslim group calls for universal peace

    As predominantly Catholic Philippines and the rest of the Christian world observe the Holy Week, peace advocates like the Young Muslim Professionals Network (YMPN) are appealing to Filipinos of various creeds and persuasion to embrace the universal message of kindness, love and peace. The group issued the call as peace negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front teeter due to the Mamasapano incident where members of the rebel group killed 44 police commandos on a …

  • Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage
    Ex-WB exec pushes BBL passage

    A former World Bank official has warned of dire consequences for the Philippines if the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is not passed into law. Nigel Roberts, former director on conflict, security and development, said that more conflict could occur without the BBL. “It takes about 15 years to get back to pre-conflict GDP growth rates, and 20 years for trade to recover,” Roberts said in his blog at the World Bank website. The World Bank estimated that economic losses amounted to $10 …

  • Despite typhoon, summer is here
    Despite typhoon, summer is here

    Super Typhoon Chedeng roared toward Luzon as the weather bureau announced the official start of summer in the country yesterday. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced yesterday the official start of the dry or summer season in the country due to the termination of the cold northeast monsoon. “The general public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and take note of the need in optimizing the daily use of …

  • Noy told: Just answer the questions
    Noy told: Just answer the questions

    Just answer the 20 questions. The Makabayan bloc of seven party-list representatives made this appeal to President Aquino yesterday after his spokesman claimed the Chief Executive has already answered most of the questions posed by the militant lawmakers regarding the Mamasapano incident. For instance, he said the President has not yet explained why he allowed then suspended Philippine National Police chief Director General Alan Purisima to take the lead in Oplan Exodus or the mission to …

  • DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah
    DFA: Malaysia paying rent for Sabah

    Malaysia does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah but the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) maintained yesterday that the Malaysian government is paying rent for Sabah, indicating it rightfully belongs to the Philippines. The Malay Mail Online reported that Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said Malaysia has not and does not acknowledge the Philippine claim over Sabah when asked by media about the reported offer of the Philippine government to downgrade its Sabah …

  • 63 OFWs returning from Yemen
    63 OFWs returning from Yemen

    Sixty-three overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are set to return home from war-torn Yemen, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. Baldoz said the licensed recruiters of the OFWs have assured the government of their immediate repatriation. Administrator Hans Cacdac of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration has ordered the recruitment agencies to fulfill their obligation to bring home the OFWs. Baldoz called on Filipinos still in Yemen to avail themselves of the government’s …

  • Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup
    Jinggoy gets furlough for shoulder checkup

    Despite opposition from ombudsman lawyers, the Sandiganbayan yesterday granted detained Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s request to undergo a medical checkup at the Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital. Estrada was allowed to undergo a medical examination for pain in his left shoulder from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The senator was ordered to shoulder the expenses incurred by the Philippine National Police in  escorting him. In a pleading filed Monday with the anti-graft court’s Fifth Division, Estrada’s lawyers …

  • Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak
    Tekken’s Josie Rizal gets flak

    A professor of the University of the Philippines yesterday hit the portrayal of a Filipino character, whose name was based on Jose Rizal, in a Japanese-produced video game. “(It’s) offensive and unsuited for a big company like Bandai because they have the money to do research,” Gonzalo Campoamor II, professor of Life and Works of Rizal in UP Diliman, told The STAR. Japanese giant Namco Bandai recently introduced Josie Rizal, the first Filipino character in the popular fighting game franchise …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options