Korean food company to open first overseas store in Manila

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - Bulgogibrothers, a local franchise specializing in Korean barbeque, said Thursday it will open its first overseas store in the Philippines on Sept. 8.

The bulgogi store will be the first hansik, or Korean food, restaurant located in the city of Makati, the financial center of Manila, the company said.

Bulgogibrothers, established in 2006, offers bulgogi, or grilled beef with soy sauce and sesame marinade, and other barbequed items, with its stores embracing modern ambience.

After successfully settling in Korea with 28 stores nationwide, the company now aims to go global.

Starting with the first Manila store, the company plans to open two more locations in Canada and the Philippines in December.

"We want to play a leading role in promoting hansik around the world," said Zeus Yi, president of Bulgogibrothers, during a news conference on Thursday.

Except for its signature bulgogi sauce and soybean paste, the company plans to secure other ingredients such as beef and vegetables locally, Yi said, adding that "Korean beef is favored only among Koreans."

As part of the company's efforts for globalization of hansik brand, the menu will show the names of Korean food as they sound along with English description.

"Local staff said Korean language is not so difficult for them to pronounce. Considering the popularity of K-pop there, we thought Korean names would have unique and exotic appeal as well," he said.

Yi said one of the most important things to enter a foreign market was finding a good business partner.

The Manila store will be operated by the Philippines-based Bistro Group, the nation's largest franchise operator of foreign brands such as TGI Friday's.

The company is also eying the soaring Chinese market but does not plan to move there right now, the president said.

"In the case of the Chinese market, we want to manage stores directly. In order to do that we need to get bigger," he said.

With two more eateries planned within the year in Korea, the company aims to increase to 100 restaurants nationwide in the next decade.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options