Labangon fire razes 25 houses, displaces 150 individuals

UP TO P3.3 million worth of properties were damaged by the fire in Sitio Callejon, Barangay Labangon, Cebu City, on Wednesday morning, January 25, 2023.

Initial investigation revealed that 20 houses were destroyed and five houses were damaged by the fire that left 50 families or 150 individuals homeless.

The Cebu City Fire Office (CCFO) said the fire was placed under first alarm at 11:43 a.m. and declared under control at 12:13 p.m.

According to Fire Officer 1 Pedie Canillas, the fire started from the house of the Alonzo family, which has no electricity.

The house made of light materials is occupied by renter Shaira Mae Villeno.

Canillas said unattended cooking might have caused the fire.

Labangon Barangay Captain Victor Buendia said this is the largest so far of all the fires that struck Callejon.

The fire victims are temporarily taking shelter at the Barangay Labangon gym.

One of the fire victims, Marjessa Amacna, was teary-eyed when interviewed by SunStar Cebu as she was not able to salvage any of her belongings. (BBT/TPT)