THE 43 homeowners who were displaced by fire that struck Sitio Lourdes in Barangay Inayawan, Cebu City will be able to rebuild their homes.
This was what Mayor Edgardo Labella promised after he visited the sitio on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019. He learned on the same day that the sitio’s 102 families (355 individuals) had been residing on the lot owned by a private person.
The mayor said his administration’s current stand is not to use a fire incident as an excuse to evict informal settlers.
Labella also heard that some occupants were paying rent to the owner.
Five-day free meal
In the spirit of Christmas, Labella extended the distribution of free meals to the fire survivors to five days. The City, through the Department of Social Welfare and Services (DSWS), provides free meals for three days to survivors of fire.
On Monday, Dec. 23, the DSWS will finalized its assessment and evaluation of the survivors.
DSWS head Jeffrey Ibones said each homeowner will receive P20,000 and housing materials.
On Sunday night, Dec. 22, Sen. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go visited Sitio Lourdes. The Department of Social Welfare and Development and the National Housing Authority will also help the survivors. (PAC / KAL)