L.A. Lakers fire Brown as coach after woeful start

Mike Brown was fired as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after the team started the NBA season by losing four of its first five games, according to Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.

Friday's firing came only hours ahead of the Lakers playing host to Golden State, a game in which the squad will be guided by assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff on an interim basis. A search for a new head coach is already under way.

"We weren't winning, we weren't seeing improvement and we made a decision," Kupchak said. "Maybe it would have changed down the road. But with this team we didn't want to wait three months and find out it wouldn't change."

It was second-fastest ouster of an NBA coach to start a season. Dolph Schayes resigned as the Buffalo Braves' coach after the 1971-1972 opener.

The Lakers have the worst record in the Western Conference but the NBA's largest payroll at more than $100 milllion.

"It wasn't made out of panic," Kupchak said of a decision made late Thursday night. "We went 0-8 in preseason and we're 1-4 now. It's not like this came out of nowhere."

Brown, who had almost three full years remaining on a four-year deal worth $18 million, was trying to install an offensive scheme that had players struggling.

"They either weren't getting it or it was going to take too long for them to get it and we weren't willing to wait to find out which it was," Kupchak said.

"We'd like to see something the players can pick up on a little bit quicker. I'm not sure we have the time to implement something really complex."

Superstar guard Kobe Bryant has struggled with a foot injury and gave Brown a 'death stare' glare at Brown during a loss on Wednesday to Utah but praised him in a farewell Facebook posting.

"Tough day," Bryant said on his Facebook page. "I've seen coaches as well as friends come and go. No matter how many years I've been playing, it's still hard to deal with.

"I had a good relationship with Mike and I will continue to have one. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I spoke with him today and thanked him for all of his hard work and sacrifice.

"I'm not sure what direction we are heading in next. All I can do is focus on the here and now.""

Kupchak said players had no input in the decision to fire Brown but they might be asked about potential replacement candidates.

Injuries have also hampered the team's two star off-season acquisitions, guard Steve Nash and center Dwight Howard.

Howard is still trying to find top form after back surgery while Nash has been healthy for only one full game so far this season because of a leg injury.

"It was discussed," Kupchak said of the injury issue. "But we still decided to make the decision.

"We were wondering a month or two or three down the road if we were going to be in the same spot. It could have turned out just fine. But we weren't willing to take that chance."

The Lakers also boast Spanish playmaker Pau Gasol and were expected to contend for a title. They lost their first three games before beating winless Detroit 95-86 last Sunday.

"This team was built to contend this year," Kupchak said. "There's no guarantee we will win a championship. We certainly should be in the hunt."

"It's wins and losses. Mike knows this."

Brown thanked the club in a statement.

"I have a deep appreciation for the coaches and players that I worked with this past year," he said. "I wish the organization nothing but success as they move forward."

Former Lakers star player, coach and part-owner Magic Johnson said on Twitter that he never thought Brown should have been coaching the Lakers.

"Feel bad for Coach Mike Brown, who's a great guy, but don't think he was the right guy for the job in the first place," Johnson tweeted.

Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who guided Chicago to six NBA titles and the Lakers to five NBA crowns before retiring in 2011 and being replaced by Brown, was among those mentioned as possible replacements.

"When there's a coach like Phil Jackson, one of the all-time greats, and he's not coaching, we would be negligent not to know he's out there," Kupchak said. "We have not reached out to anyone at this time.

"Certainly I think we would look to an experienced coach. I think it's more likely we would look to coaches that aren't presently employed."

Johnson tweeted that he would not mind a return by his former coach Pat Riley, who is now an executive with the reigning NBA champion Miami Heat.

"I'd love to see Phil Jackson or Brian Shaw. Wish Pat Riley was available," Johnson tweeted. "The Lakers need a championship caliber coach."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia informs drug convicts of execution
    Indonesia informs drug convicts of execution

    Indonesia said Saturday it had officially notified eight foreign drug convicts that they will be executed, prompting an appeal from United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon to spare the prisoners and suspend the death penalty. A Frenchman also on death row for drug-related crimes was granted a temporary reprieve after Paris stepped up pressure on Jakarta. The eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- have been transported to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan where …

  • UN chief urges Indonesia to spare drug convicts from execution
    UN chief urges Indonesia to spare drug convicts from execution

    United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon appealed to Indonesia on Saturday to spare from impending execution a group of 10 death-row drug convicts, most of them foreigners. "The Secretary General appeals to the government of Indonesia to refrain from carrying out the execution, as announced, of 10 prisoners on death row for alleged drug-related crimes," a spokesman for Ban said. Earlier Saturday, Indonesia said it had officially notified eight foreign nationals convicted of drug crimes -- from …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. Rep. Elpidio Barzaga Jr. of Dasmariñas City in Cavite made the statement to allay the fears of his colleagues that the proposal, contained in the draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), would violate the Charter. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options