Lanto Declines Comelec Post

MANILA, Philippines --- Newly appointed commissioner of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) former Ambassador and Lanao del Norte Rep. Macabangkit Lanto announced yesterday that he is declining his appointment.

Lanto, in a statement, cited the controversies that hounded him ever since he was appointed to the commission as the main reason for his withdrawal.

"With deep regret, I respectfully decline my appointment as a member of the Comelec," he said in a letter addressed to President Benigno S. Aquino III dated March 9, which was set to be delivered to Malacanang yesterday.

"After a thorough consultation with my family, I have arrived at this decision, owing in large part to the controversy that surrounded my appointment." added Lanto.

Lanto became the second Comelec appointee to withdraw. Last week, election lawyer Maria Bernadette Sardillo likewise declined her position as Comelec commissioner, saying that her family talked her into staying in the private sector.

The appointments of Lanto and Sardillo would have completed the vacancies at the Comelec left by Commissioners Rene Sarmiento and Armando Velasco, who both retired last month.

Lanto said the media attention on his electoral protest case that led the House of Representative Electoral Tribunal (HRET) to unseat him as a representative from Lanao del Norte 20 years ago has raised questions on the propriety of him serving as a member of the poll body.

"The past few days have been difficult for me and my family," Lanto said.

"The incessant media focus on my House of Representative Electoral Tribunal (HRET) case 20 years ago has unfortunately overshadowed my public service record and as a result, I will find it extremely difficult to pursue my advocacy for electoral reforms in the Comelec," he added.

Lanto reiterated that he did not commit electoral fraud contrary to the findings of HRET in 1992 and that he was a victim, not the perpetrator of electoral fraud, in the said case.

"Rest assured that my interest to pursue reforms in our electoral process, will, however, remain, in my personal capacity," he assured the President.

Lanto, a former ambassador, justice and tourism undersecretary was appointed as poll commissioner last Thursday, March 7, together with Sardillo.

Lanto's decision surprised Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes. "I was surprised because I thought all along that he is going to fight for it and clear his name," he said in an interview.
He said the HRET case should have died down already since it happened two decades ago.

With regard to the 2007 poll offense case, a copy of the Law Department's recommendation to the Comelec en banc revealed that Lanto's case on alleged coercion is being dismissed.

"Complainants failed to sufficiently establish (Lanto's) presence more so his participation in the incident... The complaint against respondent Macabangkit Lanto is hereby dismissed for lack of probable cause," said the 10-page recommendation dated January 12, 2008.
Brillantes, meantime, expressed hope that Aquino will not take long in finding new appointees.

"I just hope the President will appoint the two new ones immediately... Hopefully, within another 10 days," he said.

For its part, the Comelec - Employees' Union (EU) pushed anew their two nominees for the post, namely Comelec - Planning Department head Atty. Ferdinand Rafanan and Santiago City, Isabela election officer (EO) Atty. Alexander Pilotin.

"With the elections only two months away, it is imperative that the President name insiders to the Commissioner posts," said Comelec-EU President Mac Ramirez in a statement.
Malacanang said yesterday the withdrawal of Lanto from his position as Comelec commissioner shows his "personal delicadeza."

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the replacement for Lanto will be announced "at the proper time."

"The highest consideration for the country is to restore confidence in the electoral system," Valte said. "Mr. Lanto's decision to withdraw as commissioner of the Comelec is a demonstration of personal delicadeza and gives the President an opportunity to make a new appointment to the position," she added. (With a report from Madel Sabater - Namit)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia rebuffs last-ditch bids to delay drug-convict executions
    Indonesia rebuffs last-ditch bids to delay drug-convict executions

    By Kanupriya Kapoor and Jane Wardell CILACAP, Indonesia/SYDNEY (Reuters) - Indonesia said the execution of nine drug traffickers would go ahead this week, rebuffing last-minute appeals from Australia and the Philippines to spare their nationals and ignoring a decision by the Constitutional Court to hear a final challenge. Australia began the day with a plea for a stay in the execution of Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, saying reports that their trial had been tainted by corruption needed to …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia urged Indonesia Monday to delay the execution of two men for drug offences until a corruption probe into their case is complete, after a report that judges sought tens of thousands of dollars in bribes. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face the firing squad within days, along with others from Brazil, Nigeria, the Philippines and an Indonesian prisoner. The Indonesian attorney-general's office said the executions would take place this week but did …

  • ISIS has not penetrated Phl – AFP
    ISIS has not penetrated Phl – AFP

    Security officials yesterday maintained that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has not penetrated the Philippines following an expert’s warning that the group poses a threat to the country. Abu Sayyaf, BIFF (Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters), private armed groups to our knowledge are the people making problems down south,” Armed Forces chief Gen. Gregorio Catapang Jr. said. The BIFF and the Abu Sayyaf have pledged allegiance to the ISIS but it remains uncertain whether they are …

  • Cerbo named national police intel chief
    Cerbo named national police intel chief

    Philippine National Police officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina yesterday ordered the appointment of PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. as chief of the Directorate for Intelligence. …

  • Pump prices up anew
    Pump prices up anew

    Oil companies announced yesterday another round of price hikes with independent oil firms among the first to issue their respective announcements. PTT Philippines, the local subsidiary of Thailand’s biggest oil firm, and Phoenix Petroleum Philippines, another independent oil company, were among the first to issue their respective advisories. Seaoil Philippines also issued its announcement. “PTT Philippines will increase pump prices of gasoline by P0.70 per liter and of diesel by P0.30 per …

  • PNP to ease rules on gun permit processing
    PNP to ease rules on gun permit processing

    The Philippine National Police will simplify requirements for getting a firearm’s permit under the new gun control law, PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina said yesterday. Espina said they are working to simplify the process to secure a license to own and possess firearms (LTOPF) amid complaints of excessive requirements from gun holders. Espina directed the Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) to make it easier for legitimate gun owners to comply with the …

  • Mercy for Mary Jane: Pacman joins appeals
    Mercy for Mary Jane: Pacman joins appeals

    World boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao took time out yesterday from final preparations for his $400-million megafight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. to plead for the life of a Filipina on death row in Indonesia. Pacquiao, a national hero in the Philippines, added his voice to a chorus of global opposition led by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to the executions of a group of foreign drug convicts, including compatriot Mary Jane Veloso. The eight-division world champion, who will face …

  • Phl condoles as Nepal death toll hits 3,700
    Phl condoles as Nepal death toll hits 3,700

    Foreign rescue teams equipped with heavy cutting gear and relief supplies were landing round the clock at Nepal’s only international airport on the outskirts of Kathmandu, which has been devastated by Saturday’s 7.8-magnitude quake. “We need more helicopters for our rescue operations in rural areas,” said Nepal Home Affairs spokesman Laxmi Prasad Dhakal. In a statement issued yesterday, Aquino said a team from the Philippine embassy in New Delhi, India would travel to Nepal to meet the needs …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options