Lapu-lapu village chiefs hit back at Ahong over cash distribution

·2 min read

VILLAGE chiefs of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu cried foul over the allegations of Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan that they did not coordinate with the giving of P5,000 financial assistance to the victims of Typhoon Odette (Rai).

Lapu-Lapu City Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) President and Bankal Barangay Captain Eduardo Cuizon was joined by 13 other barangay captains in a press conference Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022.

The barangay captains present were Evaristo Dihayco (Mactan), Arsenio Berdin (Babag), Rusell Abing (Maribago), Ranilo Abatan (Caohagan), Arselito Pejo (Calawisan), Reynaldo Tampus (Canjulao), Joselito Tibon (Suba Basbas), Johanna Capangpangan (Pajac), Mary Jane Cahilog (Ibo), Gina Soroño (Buaya), Eleonor Fontanoza (Gun-ob), Regina Ybañez (Looc), and Triponia Abayan (Tungasan).

They unanimously refuted Chan’s previous statements that the delay in the distribution of financial aid was because of the lack of cooperation from the barangay officials.

Cuizon said that right after the onslaught of the typhoon, they already initiated in creating a list of affected constituents and the list had been forwarded to the City Social Welfare and Development Office even before Chan’s order.

Ybañez also lambasted the mayor for not visiting their barangay after the devastation of Typhoon Odette.

“Tingali maong nakaingon siya ana nga walay gihimo kay walay mayor nga niduaw sa Barangay Looc. Walay mayor nga nangumusta (Perhaps, he said we haven’t done anything because he did not visit Barangay Looc. No mayor bothered to ask us),” said Ybañez.

Ybañez added that food packs from the City only arrived three days after the the typhoon hit the city and only 100 packs were given.

Fontanoza said that because of the pronouncements of the mayor, people are also blaming them without knowing that they are working hard in their capacity as barangay captains.

“This is hard on our part. We are the ones working, but we get the blame from the people,” Fontanoza said in Cebuano.

The barangay captains also said that the list of benefeciaries for the cash aid that they have submitted to the CSWDO were no longer followed which resulted to some of their constituents not being included during the distribution.

Chan previously mentioned that there will be a second batch of the distribution since there is an excess amount worth P40 million.

During the distribution on Jan. 21-23, the City handed out cash aid to 96,000 Odette-affected households worth P460 million.

SunStar Cebu called and texted Chan but he did not reply as of this writing. (IRT / TPT)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting