Court cuts China activist's jail sentence: lawyer

A Chinese court handed Ni Yulan, the disabled activist jailed earlier this year, a two-month reduction in her prison term on Friday, but upheld a conviction for "picking quarrels", her lawyer said.

The court cut Ni's sentence to 30 months in jail after overturning a fraud conviction, but rejected her appeal against the second charge, her lawyer Cheng Hai told AFP by telephone after a hearing in Beijing.

The court also rejected an appeal against Ni's husband Dong Jiqin's conviction and sentence to two years in jail on the same charge of "picking quarrels", Cheng said.

"At least Chinese law is improving. If we all persevere, there can be results. (But) this is basically a fake case," Cheng said, adding that he planned to appeal again.

Lawyers for Ni and her husband have said all along that the charges were trumped up to silence the 52-year-old rights defender, who is confined to a wheelchair due to injuries during an earlier stint in jail.

She and her husband were detained in April 2011 as China rounded up hundreds of activists amid calls for protests akin to the Arab Spring popular revolts that erupted across the Middle East.

The activist spent much of the trial in December lying on a bed in the courtroom due to her poor health and needed a respirator to breathe.

Her sentencing in April this year sparked an international outcry, and the United States and European Union have both called for her release. The US said Friday it was "deeply concerned" about the case and Ni's health.

Trained as a lawyer, Ni began providing legal aid to residents facing home demolitions after her own courtyard home in central Beijing was requisitioned in 2001.

The next year she was sentenced to one year in jail for "obstructing official business" and disbarred as a lawyer.

After her release she was confined to a wheelchair, which the rights group Amnesty International blamed on abuse while in prison.

In 2008, Ni and her husband began living on the street after their home was demolished, and Ni received another jail sentence of two years for "harming public property".

After a brief period of freedom in 2010, police relocated her and her husband to a hotel and later requested them to pay the 69,000 yuan ($11,000) bill, which they refused to do.

Ni attended Friday's hearing, as did her daughter Dong Xuan, 27, who was placed under effective house arrest after her parents' trial and remains under police surveillance.

There was a heavy police presence outside the court in Beijing. Dong told AFP by telephone security officials had driven her away from the area immediately after the hearing, possibly to prevent her from speaking to journalists.

"They wouldn't let me answer the phone," which had rung two dozen times, she said, speaking while she ducked away briefly from the officials minding her.

Dong said it had seemed unlikely during the hearing that the convictions of picking quarrels would be overturned because her parents' requests to see the evidence for those decisions had been refused.

The lawyer Cheng said Ni's condition remained poor but had improved since her last appearance in court, and she was able to sit up in her wheelchair during the hearing rather than having to lie down.

Before the appeal hearing, he said he had submitted witness statements from the alleged fraud victims to support the legal challenge.

"They have not only provided written testimonies that they donated the funds voluntarily and were not defrauded (but also) video recordings," he said.

Cheng said he had filed in May separate lawsuits against the Beijing district security bureau and court that had dealt with Ni, but had not heard any news about those cases.

Representatives from nearly a dozen Western embassies waited outside the courthouse on Friday waiting to hear the results.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a blade-wielding assailant opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert at a breakfast function at …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options