Bloodbath as gunman kills 12 at US Batman screening

A masked attacker gunned down dozens of US moviegoers at the packed premiere of a Batman movie on Friday, killing at least 12 people and wounding almost 40.

Chaos erupted when the gunman tossed some kind of grenade into the audience at a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," then opened fire on terrified patrons as they scrambled for the exit.

Local police arrested the killer -- identified by US media as 24-year-old local man James Holmes -- at the rear of the theater, in Aurora, a suburb of the city of Denver, in Colorado.

Local media quoted a police chief as saying the suspect's home may have been booby trapped with explosives, and television footage showed officers in body armor breaking into the apartment through a window.

Cinemas in New York tightened security at Batman showings following the attack, and the French premiere of the film in Paris was cancelled.

"I saw some people start to get up. I poked my head up to see what was going on and when I did that I saw another flash and instantly put my head down as he started shooting again," 17-year-old Tanner Coon told NBC.

"I went to try to get to the exit and slipped on some blood, landed on a lady. I saw her heels. I shook her. I told her: 'We need to get up. You need to get out of here.' There was no response. So I presumed she was dead."

The suspect is thought to be a student from California. A spokeswoman for the San Diego Police Department, Andra Brown, said his family was shocked by the incident and cooperating with law enforcement.

"Their hearts go out to those involved or touched by this," she said, adding that the family's San Diego home had been put under police protection.

President Barack Obama cut short a campaign trip to Florida and returned to the White House to address the situation, although his spokesman said there appeared to have been no link to terrorism.

"Such violence, such evil, is senseless. But, while we will never know fully what causes somebody to take the live of another, we do know what makes life worth living," the president told a somber crowd in Florida.

"The people we lost in Aurora loved and they were loved," Obama said.

Following the shooting, Obama and his Republican rival Mitt Romney came under pressure on gun control, with lobby groups and some political leaders calling for legislation to restrict civilians' access to firearms.

"Maybe it's time that the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do because this is obviously a problem across the country," New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

Both campaigns offered sympathy for the dead, but neither promised to change federal gun law. The right to bear arms in enshrined in the second amendment to the US constitution.

"The president believes we need to take common-sense measures that protect Second Amendment rights of Americans, while ensuring that those who should not have guns under existing law do not get them," Obama's spokesman said.

"There has been progress in that regard in terms of improving the volume and quality of information in background checks," he said "But I have nothing new -- nothing additional on that for you."

In a statement, the Aurora Police Department said: "Police were told the suspect 'appeared' at the front of one of the theaters, threw some type of gas or explosive device and started shooting."

Aurora police chief Dan Oates said police had arrested an alleged gunman and there was "no evidence" of a second, after earlier reports of two shooters.

"When the suspect was arrested, police recovered one rifle, one handgun and a gas mask. A third gun is still inside the theater. The suspect ... offered no resistance when he was arrested," it added.

Ten people were killed at the scene and two more died of their wounds, police said. A local children's hospital reported six young victims, the youngest was aged only six.

"The injured and dead include a wide age range. The conditions of the injured also vary, with some suffering very serious wounds," said police.

Chris Jones, who was in the theater, said the shooting began about 20 to 30 minutes into the screening.

"People just started dropping. We were on the floor trying not to get shot," Jones told the local KMGH-TV television station.

"There was smoke. Then I heard 'bam, bam, bam.' The gunman didn't have to stop to reload. Shots just kept coming, kept coming, kept coming."

Shots fired in one auditorium went through the wall and hit people in the auditorium next door. Jones said by the time he got out, police were already in the building.

Oates said the suspect claimed to have explosives at his residence and the apartment complex where he lived had been evacuated and was being searched.

Television images showed officers using a fire ladder to enter the building through a window.

Police spokesman Frank Fania told CNN the shooter was wearing body armor and armed with a rifle and two handguns, adding that he had set off some kind of smoke device in order to sow panic.

Witnesses described chaos chillingly similar to that depicted in the Batman films, in which maniacal villains terrorize Gotham City.

They said several audience members had shown up in costumes, which could have allowed the gunman to blend in with the melee and complicated the arrest.

Aurora is barely 20 miles (32 kilometers) from the scene of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, in which two students shot dead 13 people before committing suicide.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

  • Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters
    Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters

    As Mary Jane Veloso held on to vestiges of hope that her life might be spared, she thanked Filipinos for their support and had some pieces of advice.  Efforts to save Veloso from the firing squad continued after Indonesian authorities issued the notice of execution to the Filipina worker who had written four letters – including one for President Aquino – expressing hope that justice will prevail and her gratitude to her countrymen. Veloso’s relatives arrived in Nusa Kambangan Island on …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options