Legarda: Mining threatening Ifugao Rice Terraces

The Ifugao Rice Terraces are threatened not just by erosion but also by small-scale mining, Senator Loren Legarda said Monday as she filed a resolution asking the Senate to investigate.

The UN Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has listed the Ifugao Rice Terraces as an endangered World Heritage site since 2001. The degradation of the rice terraces has been blamed on earthworms and rats that burrow along the walls of the rice paddies. Typhoons have also contributed to their destruction.

Now, Ifugao is in danger amid suppsoed mining activities in the area.

Legarda, chair of the Senate Committee on Cultural Communities, was in Ifugao earlier this month to consult with local leaders on how to reverse the degradation of the rice terraces.

During consultations there, the provincial government of Ifugao told Legarda about illegal mining in Hungduan and Aguinaldo towns along the terraces. She also cited news reports of illegal mining in Hungduan and Banaue towns. Miners are reportedly looking for gold and other minerals.

Although the People's Small-Scale Mining Act allows "mining activities which rely heavily on manual labor using simple implement and methods and do not use explosives or heavy mining equipment," this is banned on land identified as ancestral domain. The terraces and surrounding forests are the ancestral domain of the Ifugao people.

"The encroachment of illegal small-scale mining operations in the Ifugao Rice Terraces further puts a threat to the already rapidly deteriorating state of this heritage site," she said.

Legarda has called on the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the Provincial Mining Regulatory Board  to act on the reported illegal small-scale mining along the Ifugao Rice Terraces.

The Senate Committee on Environment and Natural Resources should meanwhile look for "remedial measures to ensure that the Ifugao Rice Terraces, the centuries-old heritage of our indigenous peoples, are sustainably-protected," she said.

The government has set aside around P30 million for the rehabilitation of the rice terraces. The Department of Agriculture will give P20 million, with another P10 million coming from the office of Senator Francis Pangilinan. The National Rice Program will also give P1 million for restoration work.

During restoration, 300 to 500 workers under the Social Welfare department's cash-for-work program will be tapped to rebuild collapsed walls along the rice terraces.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
    Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour

    A solar-powered plane made a third successful test flight in the United Arab Emirates on Monday ahead of a planned round-the-world tour to promote alternative energy. Organisers hope that Solar Impulse 2 may head off around the globe as early as Saturday but caution that the launch is dependent on the weather, even in the relatively cloudless Gulf. The hour-long test flight was the plane's third from the UAE capital Abu Dhabi's small Al-Bateen airport, but the first for Solar Impulse chairman …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options