Top intelligence chief abducted as Libya marks strike

Libya's deputy intelligence chief Mustafa Nuh was abducted Sunday by gunmen in Tripoli as the capital observed a three-day strike after deadly unrest triggered fears of civil war.

The violence was the deadliest in the city since the 2011 uprising and erupted Friday when demonstrators took to the streets to protest against an unruly militia of ex-rebels who helped to topple dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

At least 43 people were killed and more than 450 wounded in violence that raged overnight and into Saturday, the health ministry said.

Tripoli city council late Saturday announced a three-day strike across the private and public sector to mourn the dead, also urging citizens to exercise "calm and restraint".

But people exasperated by the government's failure to rein in militias set fires ablaze and put up barricades on major roads, blocking them amid calls for civil disobedience, AFP reporters said.

And late Sunday, several hundred gathered in the centre of Tripoli, chanting slogans demanding that militias evacuate the city and the formation of a strong army and police.

As reports emerged that deputy intelligence chief Mustafa Nuh had been kidnapped, dozens of protesters broke into the General National Congress (GNC), Libya's parliament and top political authority.

"We demand brave decisions from the Congress to put an end to the presence of militias in the capital," one protester told AFP.

A security official said that Nuh was abducted shortly after returning to Tripoli from a visit abroad.

Former rebel commander Ala Abu Hafess told Al-Naba private television channel he was in a car with Nuh when armed men ambushed them as they left the airport.

Abu Hafess said he managed to flee but Nuh was driven off by the gunmen. "I ran. They opened fire at me but didn't hit me," he said.

In October, gunmen briefly abducted Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in Tripoli, and a few days later a security official claimed responsibility for the operation and said he was "proud" of it.

Libya's embattled government has struggled to rein in former rebel brigades that helped end Kadhafi's 40-year dictatorship but have since grown into increasingly menacing militias.

Analysts have warned of further unrest unless the militias are disarmed.

Risk of escalation

Hanan Salah, a researcher with Human Rights Watch, said the latest clashes "showcase the extent of the reckless acts of unaccountable militias these past two years, and the government's lack of ability to control them".

"The priority for the authorities now is to get a grip on these renegade groups, disarm and demobilise them and hold them accountable for crimes committed," Salah told AFP.

"Otherwise there is a real risk for an escalation in violence."

The brigade at the heart of the latest violence was from Misrata, a coastal city east of Tripoli that saw some of the worst fighting in the uprising that toppled and killed Kadhafi.

Nuh is also from Misrata.

On Friday, demonstrators marched on the group's Tripoli headquarters to demand that they leave and return to Misrata when shots were fired from inside the base.

Several protesters were killed and rival militias then swept in, with gunfire and explosions echoing across the city.

On Sunday the defence ministry ordered that the base -- a group of villas that once belonged to Kadhafi cronies -- be demolished.

The fighting came a week after clashes between militias in Tripoli killed two people.

Premier Zeidan called for calm after the latest round of fighting and said "the coming hours and days will be decisive for the history of Libya".

His government has struggled to convince militias to disarm or join the national security forces, as many of the groups are more loyal to their commanders, towns or tribes than to Tripoli, and have carved their own fiefdoms in a country awash with weapons.

Tension remained high in Tripoli Sunday where banks, most schools, universities and shops except for some grocers and cafes were closed, AFP reporters said.

"Unfortunately, many schools are closed today," education ministry spokesman Samir Jarnez told AFP.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • PSEi breaches 8,000 level, but profit-taking pared most gains

    [caption id="attachment_257092" align="alignleft" width="150"] PSEi breaches 8,000 mark (PSE photo)[/caption] Local share prices surged on a slew of positive news from abroad, sending the Philippine Stock Exchange index past the 8,000 mark for the first time in history. BDO Unibank chief market strategist Jonathan Ravelas said the market rose due to “positive foreign equity portfolio flows and Fed Chair Yellen’s comments last week reiterating thethat the FOMC will be data dependent and …

  • Abandoned, hard-up husband hits P60-M Lotto pot

    Lady luck finally smiled on a hard-up tricycle driver, who endured being abandoned by his wife and seeing his children drop out of school before hitting the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) 6/45 Lotto jackpot worth nearly P60 million. PCSO acting chairman Jose Ferdinand M. Rojas II said the 29-year old lucky bettor hit the jackpot in the March 20 draw by correctly picking the winning numbers 02-03-14-22-29-30, which corresponds to the birth anniversary dates of his family members. …

  • News In Brief

    P/$ RATE CLOSES AT P44.80/$1The peso exchange rate closed  lower  at P44.80  to the US dollar yesterday at the Philippine Dealing & Exchange Corp. (PDEx) from P44.76  last  Friday.  The weighted average rate  unchanged  to  P44.796  from  P44.796.  Total volume amounted to $340.6 million.PUMP PRICES RAISED THIS WEEKThe pump prices of gasoline products will be raised by P1.10 per liter this week and diesel by P0.60 per liter, according to the oil companies. In an advisory to the media, the oil …

  • Need for modern national sports complex underscored

    Sen. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara yesterday pushed for the construction of a “state-of-the-art” and “highly scientific sports complex” that can be used by the country’s national athletes for high-level training and total wellness program. Angara, chairperson of the Senate Committee on Games, Amusement and Sports, said the government should at least provide decent support to its athletes by providing them with ultramodern sports venues and facilities if it wants them to improve the country’s …

  • Makati mayor slams PNP’s role in mayoralty row

    Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin S. Binay denounced what he called apparent “misuse” of the Philippine National Police (PNP) force in the implementation of “selective suspension” of government officials not allied with the ruling party. Binay said he sympathizes with PNP personnel who often got caught in the middle of political conflicts, and called for an end to dirty political tactics. [caption id="attachment_257243" align="aligncenter" width="648"] THANKSGIVING MEAL – Vice President Jejomar C. …

  • EVAP warns of unscrupulous foreign electric vehicle suppliers

    The Electric Vehicle Association of the Philippines  (EVAP) has cautioned local manufacturers and end users against unscrupulous foreign EV suppliers that are flocking into the domestic market. In a sunrise industry like the electric vehicle industry, EVAP stressed that choosing the right partner or supplier is a difficult task. “In the absence of any track record to review, an end user is at a loss as to how to choose a reliable and competent supplier,” said Atty. Bodie Pulido, EVAP …

  • Mayors laud bill increasing tax revenue allocation for LGUs

    The League of Municipalities of the Philippines (LMP) is backing the proposed increase in the annual automatic allocations for local government units (LGUs) to boost inclusive growth with improved infrastructure, modernized agriculture and easier access to resources. Mayor Jess Burahan, secretary-general of the LMP said the empowerment of LGUs through added resources is a game changer in boosting inclusive growth. …

  • Freeze order against Jinggoy assets final; Bong guards face raps

    The Sandiganbayan Fifth Division has turned down with finality the plea of Senator Jinggoy Ejercito Estrada to lift the freeze order on his properties amounting to more than P183 million. In a resolution released yesterday, the Fifth Division denied Estrada’s motion for reconsideration that sought that the court lift its writ of preliminary attachment/garnishment that was issued on February 17 that ordered the freeze of his properties. “As movant has not filed a counterbond and his arguments …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options