Libya ex-rebels in deadly raid on government HQ

One man was killed and four people wounded as Libyan security forces repelled armed demonstrators who attacked government headquarters in Tripoli, a senior official said.

The country's interim prime minister Abdel Rahim al-Kib read out a statement on television denouncing the violence and vowing not to give way to "outlaws" making demands at the end of a gun.

The casualties occurred as government forces sought to clear the area and open access to the besieged building, interim government spokesman Nasser al-Manaa said.

Manaa was speaking to journalists inside the government complex just hours after the attack.

The one man killed and three of those wounded were members of the interior ministry's Tripoli High Security Committee called in to deal with the situation after dialogue failed, he said.

One of the assailants was also wounded.

Tripoli High Security Committee head Khaled Besher said 14 assailants had been arrested.

A group of demonstrators had shown up at 9:00 am (0700 GMT), he told journalists. Armed men had soon joined their ranks.

By noon, the crowd had grown to 200 people, including gunmen from the western town of Yefren backed by about 50 trucks mounted with anti-aircraft guns and rocket launchers.

Representatives aired their grievances including the non-payment of cash stipends for former rebels who fought against the regime of Moamer Kadhafi, Manaa told reporters.

After some gunmen forced their way into the building and opened fire, the interim government started evacuating personnel and called for back-up, he added.

Earlier, a public official said former rebels had opened fire with anti-aircraft cannon.

"Some men entered the premises and fired from inside," sparking chaos as people scrambled for cover, he said.

Residents in the area reported hearing heavy exchanges of gunfire.

By 5:30 pm, fresh security forces were posted at the back, front and side entrances of the glass government building, which had dozens of its windows shattered in the attack.

Ammunition shells littered the area and the capital's usual sunset traffic jams were cleared by the violence, an AFP journalist said.

The Libyan government started paying out stipends to former rebel fighters a few months ago, but suspended the process after a few weeks citing irregularities, provoking angry protests from unpaid fighters.

Kib appeared on television late Tuesday to denounce the violence and to pay tribute to the member of the interior ministry security force who had been killed.

The government "will not give in to blackmail and to outlaws and will not negotiate under the threat of arms," he said.

"The interior ministry has arrested the attackers and the situation is completely under control," he added.

He called on Libyans to turn out to pay their respects to Ali al-Gaout, the security force member killed in the clash, describing him as a hero and a martyr.

It is not uncommon for demonstrators to carry arms when staging rallies in front of government buildings in the capital.

But Manaa, who blamed the violence on the dark legacy of 42 years of dictatorship, said: "We don't want this to become a widespread phenomenon."

In a message to former rebels, he stressed that there was no need to make "demands through force" and proposed dialogue instead.

Tuesday's violence marks the worst attack in Tripoli against Libya's new rulers, who have struggled to rein in rogue militias.

But the tough reaction shows the interim authorities are willing to call on their growing forces to counter threats against state institutions.

The clashes came as Libyans across the country registered to vote in the first national poll in more than four decades. Libyans are expected to vote for a constituent assembly in June.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF
    OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF

    The Philippine government is asking the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to finally complete the tripartite review process of the implementation of the 1996 peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). The review – snagged  for several years as government had its hands full with the peace process with rival faction Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) – tackles how the 1996 peace pact with the MNLF has been implemented and centers on the three remaining …

  • Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe
    Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe

    Eight of the resource persons ordered arrested by the Senate finally attended the 21st public hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee into the alleged anomalies involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, but the proceedings turned out to be a review of matters previously presented. For over three hours, the subcommittee heard presentations regarding the alleged hidden assets of Binay and the issue regarding the supposed P200 million in kickbacks he received from a deal between the Boy …

  • DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe
    DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) is wrapping up its investigation into the “massacre” of 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A joint team of prosecutors and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) investigators is about to finish the second part,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has told congressmen. She was responding to questions raised by former senior police officer and now Rep. Samuel Pagdilao of party-list …

  • APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism
    APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism

    BALANGA CITY, Bataan – More than 2,000 delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and international media outfits are expected to enjoy the splendid coastline of Bagac town, which faces the West Philippine Sea, as they converge for a workshop in this province next month. …

  • DOST opens P54-M research facility
    DOST opens P54-M research facility

    A P54-million research and development facility of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was recently opened in Bicutan, Taguig for scientists and researchers to develop technology and techniques to allow Filipino fashion and clothing designers and manufacturers to produce more mainstream products from local, tropical fabrics like piña, banana and abaca. Science Secretary Mario Montejo said the Innovation Center for Yarns and Textiles (ICYT) is the DOST’s flagship effort at reviving …

  • DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights
    DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights

    Philippine embassy officials in Doha have raised their concern with Qatari authorities over coercion and human rights violations in the alleged forcing of three Filipino workers convicted of spying to provide information and confess to the crime. Speaking to reporters, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose yesterday said the embassy has raised the matter during several high-level meetings with Qatari officials and the national human rights committee in Qatar. “Our embassy …

  • US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl
    US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl

    US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told his Philippine counterpart on Wednesday that Washington’s pledge to defend the Pacific nation remains “ironclad” and called for an end to land reclamation in the South China Sea, officials said. In talks in Hawaii with Voltaire Gazmin, Philippine secretary of national defense, the Pentagon chief “reaffirmed” the strong ties between the two countries and discussed territorial disputes in the contested waters of the South China Sea, where Beijing has been …

  • ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’
    ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’

    Conflict in the South China Sea can affect economic growth and stability in Southeast Asia, New Zealand warned yesterday, amid China’s aggressive reclamation activities in disputed waters. New Zealand is marking its 40 th year of diplomatic ties with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and hopes to intensify trade and other linkages with the 10-member grouping. ASEAN members Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam have overlapping territorial claims with China over the Spratly …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options