Libyans Participate In Historic Vote

TRIPOLI, (AFP) - Voters flocked to cast their ballots Saturday in Libya's first free national election in decades after the ouster of dictator Moamer Kadhafi, despite protests disrupting some polling in the restive east.

Gunmen killed one person and wounded another near a polling station in the eastern city of Ajdabiya, an official told AFP, a day after an election worker died when a helicopter carrying election materials was also targeted.

In the capital, long queues formed of people keen to elect the General National Congress, which will steer Libya through a transition period.

''Words cannot capture my joy, this is a historic day,'' said Fawziya Omran, 40, voting in a school in the heart of Tripoli.

Some voters sported black, red and green flags; the colors of the revolution that toppled Kadhafi last year.

Joy was also palpable in the eastern city of Benghazi, cradle of the revolt.

''I feel like my life has been wasted so far, but now my children will have a better life,'' said Hueida Abdul Sheikh, a 47-year-old mother of three.

Interim leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil was jubilant as he voted in his hometown of Al-Bayda, also in the east.

''This happy day sets the foundations of a new Libya,'' he said.

Protesters demanding greater representation in the 200-member congress disrupted voting elsewhere in the region, however.

Nuri al-Abbar, chairman of the electoral commission, said acts of sabotage, mostly in the east, prevented 101 polling stations from opening.

''Ninety-four percent of polling stations opened,'' he told reporters, with voting under way in 1,453 out of 1,554 centers.

But he said later that 98 percent of the polling stations operated normally, and Deputy Interior Minister Omar al-Khadrawi said problems in the east had been resolved.

''The situation in the east is now under control,'' he said, adding that polling took place in all electoral districts.

By 1400 GMT, 1.2 million of the 2.8-million-strong electorate had voted, the head of the Electoral Commission told reporters.

Polling stations began closing at 1800 GMT in Tripoli and Benghazi, as scheduled.

In the east, an AFP reporter said some polling stations were still open late on Saturday to allow people to vote who had been unable to do so earlier because of the disruptions.

Preliminary results are due on Monday or Tuesday, the electoral commission said.

Voter jubilation

In Benghazi after the official end of polling the streets filled with joyous crowds and cars with blaring horns, as people fired celebratory gunshots into the air and let off fireworks, waved flags and flashed ''V for victory'' signs.

There were similar scenes in the capital.

Protesters unhappy over the east's share of seats in the new assembly had earlier targeted polling centers and also forced oil facilities to shut down ahead of the election.

One voter in Benghazi, housewife Hadija Ibrahim al-Majrab, 35, condemned anti-vote protesters.

''They have their views and they are free to express them, but this is not the way as what we want in the new Libya is law and order,'' she said in the city's upmarket Al-Fuwayid district.

Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, who heads a team of 21 European Union observers, called the vote a major milestone after 42 years of dictatorship.

''We believe that to have this election in Libya less than one year after the fall of Tripoli is an important achievement,'' he told AFP.

The make-up of the congress being elected has been a matter of heated debate, with factions such as the federalist movement calling for more seats.

The outgoing National Transitional Council (NTC) says seats were distributed according to demographics, with 100 going to the west, 60 to the east and 40 to the south.

But factions in the east, which was marginalised under Kadhafi, want an equal split and had threatened to sabotage the vote if their demand was not met.

The authorities dismiss such groups as a minority.

Libya has not seen national elections since the era of the late King Idris, whom Kadhafi deposed in a bloodless coup in 1969.

Political parties were banned as an act of treason during Kadhafi's iron-fisted rule. Now there are 142 parties fielding candidates.

A total of 80 seats are reserved for party candidates while 120 seats are open to individual candidates. Altogether, 3,707 candidates are standing in 72 districts nationwide.

From the parties, the coalition of ex-revolution Prime Minister Mahmud Jibril is seen as a key contender among liberals, facing stiff competition from two Islamist parties; Justice and Development and Al-Wattan.

The winds of the Arab Spring that ushered Islamists into power in neighboring Tunisia and Egypt may well bring about the same result in Libya.

The incoming congress will have legislative powers and appoint an interim government. But a last-minute NTC decree stripped its right to appoint a constituent assembly, which will be chosen in a separate election instead.

The uprising that began in Benghazi in February 2011 ended more than four decades of rule under Kadhafi who was captured and killed in October in his final bastion and hometown of Sirte.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines hits back at Beijing over South China Sea
    Philippines hits back at Beijing over South China Sea

    The Philippines on Saturday shot back at Beijing's criticism of its activities in the South China Sea, saying they were "in no way comparable to China's massive reclamation activities" in the waters. It also said accusations that Manila was being "hypocritical" would not distract people from Beijing's own actions which were raising regional tensions. "The Philippines' possible undertaking of necessary maintenance and repairs on its existing facilities in the West Philippine Sea... is in no …

  • Boxing hero Pacquiao is top tax-payer in Philippines: govt
    Boxing hero Pacquiao is top tax-payer in Philippines: govt

    Boxing hero Manny Pacquiao, who faces his biggest fight against unbeaten American Floyd Mayweather, already holds top spot as the number one taxpayer in the Philippines, government records showed Saturday. A list of top individual tax-payers for 2013, posted on the Bureau of Internal Revenue website, put the boxer-turned-congressman at number one with 163.84 million pesos ($3.72 million) in taxes paid. Internal revenue chief Kim Henares confirmed that Pacquiao topped the list but stressed …

  • Phl, Japan sign P9.6-B ODA projects
    Phl, Japan sign P9.6-B ODA projects

    The Philippines and Japan have signed agreements for six official development assistance (ODA) projects amounting to 22.289 billion yen or around P9.6 billion. …

  • Commission to launch glossary of Pinoy meteorological terms
    Commission to launch glossary of Pinoy meteorological terms

    The Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF) will release a glossary of meteorological terms in Filipino to help the Filipino people better understand weather forecasts and instill disaster awareness among them. National Artist for Literature and KWF president Virgilio Almario said yesterday the KWF produced the glossary titled Patnubay sa Weder Forkast to simplify scientific terms used in the weather bulletins of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration …

  • Divorce bill good scapegoat for couples – CBCP
    Divorce bill good scapegoat for couples – CBCP

    Contrary to what romance novel writers would want their readers to believe, there are no perfect marriages in the real world. This was according to Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) president Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas. In a statement titled “CBCP Position Against the Divorce Bill and Against the Decriminalization of Adultery and Concubinage,” Villegas said that while it is not easy to make relationships last, learning how to work out differences – and …

  • DND holds off infra dev’t in Pag-Asa
    DND holds off infra dev’t in Pag-Asa

    The defense department is holding off repairs and other planned infrastructure projects on Pag-Asa Island, one of seven islets and two reefs occupied by Filipino troops in the disputed Spratly Islands. Earlier, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario pointed out that the maintenance and repair of facilities in Pag-Asa Island are not covered by the Declaration of Conduct (DOC) of parties involved in the West Philippine Sea territorial disputes. “Repair and maintenance is okay but before …

  • Blackout to hit 5 Aurora towns
    Blackout to hit 5 Aurora towns

    An 11-hour power outage will hit five towns in Aurora on Tuesday, the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) announced yesterday. The NGCP said Baler, Dingalan, San Luis, Ma. Aurora and Dipaculao would be affected by the blackout. The NGCP said parts of Nueva Ecija and Aurora were hit by a power interruption yesterday due to the tripping of the Cabanatuan-Baler 69kV line. …

  • Rules set for climate change programs
    Rules set for climate change programs

    The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and the Climate Change Commission (CCC) have released the revised guidelines to track and monitor climate change adaptation programs of the government. “The government of the Philippines has demonstrated leadership and strong commitment in implementing a comprehensive reform agenda to respond to climate change,” read the joint memorandum circular published in The STAR yesterday. “With the goal of using the budget process to plan, prioritize and …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options