Lin 'excited' to move from Knicks to Rockets

Jeremy Lin's sparkling Broadway run is over, but the point guard who took New York by storm says he is excited to launch the next phase of his NBA career with the Houston Rockets.

"Extremely excited and honored to be a Houston Rocket again!!" Lin said on Twitter shortly after the New York Knicks confirmed late Tuesday they wouldn't match Houston's three-year, $25 million offer for the 23-year-old player.

The Knicks announced their decision less than two hours before a midnight deadline.

The Rockets were one of two teams to cut then-unknown Lin last season.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said that wouldn't happen again as he welcomed Lin to Houston via Twitter.

"Welcome to Houston @JLin7!" Morey tweeted, adding: "We plan to hang on this time. You will love #RedNation".

Even the Knicks were preparing to waive Lin when injuries to two players gave him a chance to come off New York's bench earlier this year.

Lin responded by sparking a seven-game Knicks winning streak, thrilling New York fans with his clutch shooting and passing skills.

Lin, whose parents are from Taiwan and has a grandmother from China, quickly became a global sensation.

He became the first player in NBA history to score at least 20 points and pass for seven assists in his first five starts.

He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice and was named one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People as even casual basketball fans found themselves charmed by a Cinderella story that included a spell sleeping on Knicks team-mate Landry Fields' couch.

"HUGE Congrats to @JLin7!," Fields tweeted. "So excited for you and all the great things to come.. Houston, you got yourself a good one!"

Lin's fate had been the subject of intense speculation since he became a restricted free agent this month. He inked the offer sheet from Houston, but the Knicks had the option of matching it to keep him.

The Knicks were widely expected to match a reported three-year, $19.5 million offer from the Rockets.

However, Lin eventually signed the higher offer sheet, which includes a $14.9 million scheduled payment for the third year.

That would cost the Knicks millions in luxury-tax penalties levied on excessive salaries.

Knicks star Carmelo Anthony called the offer "ridiculous", but still said Monday he hoped Lin would return.

However, team-mate J.R. Smith told SportsIllustrated.com that if Lin -- who has played only 64 games in his NBA career -- came back on those terms it could have led to tension in the Knicks locker room.

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander made it clear he thinks Lin is worth it.

"We are thrilled to have Jeremy back as part of the Rockets family," Alexander said. "In his limited opportunity last season, Jeremy showed that he has all the skills to be a great player in this league for many years to come.

"In addition to being a great passer, he is also exceptional at driving to the rim and finishing plays. He also showed a poise well beyond his years by making winning plays at the end of numerous games last season. Jeremy is a winner on and off the court and we view him as an important part of our plan to build a championship contender."

Over the weekend, the Knicks acquired Raymond Felton to join veteran Jason Kidd -- recently obtained from Dallas -- as two new point guards on the team's roster.

Even before the move was official, dismayed Knicks fans were voicing their disappointment.

"We're losing more than one player. He was a symbol of the city," Jason Gutierrez, a 29-year-old musician, told AFP outside the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

The Knicks' Facebook page was littered with criticism.

"Bye bye Knicks... am not Knicks fan anymore," Jen-Jung Fan wrote.

Lin played what proved to be his last game for the Knicks in their win over Detroit on March 24.

He suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee and opted to have surgery, missing the rest of the regular season.

Lin looked close to returning in the playoffs, but didn't make it back before the Knicks were eliminated by Miami in the first round.

"Much love and thankfulness to the Knicks and New York for your support this past year...easily the best year of my life #ForeverGrateful," Lin wrote on Twitter.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a movement in the West Valley Fault. The West Valley Fault has moved four times in the past 1,400 years at an interval …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options