'Linsanity' arrives in Lone Star state, Texas

Jeremy Lin, who signed a $25 million deal with Houston this week, says he first realized his days in New York were numbered when the Knicks made a surprise move to get guard Raymond Felton.

"When I saw they were talking to Raymond Felton, I was like 'Oh, they are probably bringing in another point guard and that probably means they won't match,'" Lin told American broadcaster ESPN.

The 23-year-old Lin was introduced Thursday at the team's practice facility as the newest member of the Rockets -- the same team that cut him seven months ago after he played a couple of exhibition games for them.

Houston owner Leslie Alexander took the opportunity Thursday to say the NBA club blundered by releasing Lin last season.

"I think I made a mistake," Alexander said. "Daryl Morey (GM) said 'I'm going to release him' and I should have done a little more homework."

The former New York Knicks star Lin was claimed off waivers by Houston after the Knicks refused to match a three-year, $25 million offer sheet for the point guard on Tuesday.

During Lin's waiver period the Knicks chose to go out and sign Felton from Portland.

"Before free agency I didn't think there was any chance I was going to any other team and all I wanted to do was go back to New York and play in front of those fans," Lin said.

"At that time all I was hearing was you are going to be a Knick," he said.

"It was pretty simple. I only had one contract to sign. I obviously love New York but I wouldn't have visited Houston on July 4 if I didn't think there was something that I was really interested in."

After the Rockets announced that they had landed Lin, New York fans used social media websites -- including Lin's Facebook page -- to vent their anger, posting some racist comments.

But Lin told ESPN he has developed a thick skin over the years.

"I was shocked," said Lin, who is the first American of Taiwanese descent to play in the NBA. "You have to say something about my mom or my family for me to get really, really upset."

Lin's former New York teammate, Carmelo Anthony, had earlier called the offer "ridiculous."

Lin said he hopes people will look past the $25 million he will make over the next three years and insists he did not move out of greed.

"Anyone who really knows me knows I have never been about that," Lin said. "There are a lot of opportunities where I could have capitalized and perhaps made more money, but I wanted to focus on basketball."

Lin rocketed to fame last season with the Knicks, thrilling New York fans with his clutch shooting and passing skills and sparking the "Linsanity" phenomenon.

Lin, whose parents are from Taiwan and who has a grandmother from China, quickly became a global sensation.

He became the first player in NBA history to score at least 20 points and pass for seven assists in his first five starts.

He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice and was named one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People as even casual basketball fans found themselves charmed by his Cinderella story.

Lin said Thursday he is thankful to the Rockets for signing him and glad he will now play on a regular basis.

"I am just excited I can have a little more job security and at the same time know that I can play every single night," Lin said.

"I have been on the other side of things, where I had to wonder whether I was going to get into the game and be on the edge of my seat."

The Knicks were expected to match a reported three-year, $19.5 million offer from the Rockets.

However, Lin eventually signed the higher offer sheet, which includes a $14.9 million scheduled payment for the third year.

That would have cost the Knicks millions in luxury-tax penalties levied on excessive salaries.

Lin said he wonders why the Knicks didn't make a stronger pitch to try and keep him.

"I don't know... To be honest I am not sure. There is a lot of speculation and uncertainly in terms of what happened," he said.

In 35 games, Lin averaged 14.6 points, 6.2 assists and 3.1 rebounds for the Knicks.

Lin went undrafted out of Harvard before playing 29 games for Golden State during the 2010-11 season.

The Rockets are hoping Lin's addition can elevate their brand in North American and Asia, just as having China's Yao Ming did.

The Chinese media contingent at Thursday's news conference was about equal to that of the United States.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Developers prepare for new rules and regulations
    Developers prepare for new rules and regulations

    Known as the "Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree," Presidential Decree No. 957 issued two sets of revised implementing rules and regulations (IRRs) earlier in 2015. A bill initiated by former President Ferdinand Marcos in 1976, the decree and its most recent amendments were designed to "protect buyers from fraudulent and unscrupulous subdivision and condominium sellers, operators and developers," according to the explanatory note that accompanied the bill in its senate …

  • Pinoys dance for Earth Hour
    Pinoys dance for Earth Hour

    The Philippines once again displayed its support Saturday night for the worldwide observance of Earth Hour by hosting a dance party after turning the lights off from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. to save energy and make a statement on various environmental issues. …

  • Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China
    Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China

    The Philippines has offered to downgrade its claim on Sabah in exchange for Malaysia’s support for its case against China before the United Nations. The quid pro quo was contained in a note verbale the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) handed to a representative of the Malaysian embassy last week, a week after the visit of Malaysian Defense Minister Dato  Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein. The note verbale, a copy of which was obtained by VERA Files, referred to the May 6, 2009 joint submission …

  • Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday
    Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday

    A typhoon with international name Maysak is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday and bring rains over Northern Luzon by weekend, the state weather bureau said yesterday. Aldczar Aurelio, weather forecaster of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), said the typhoon was 2,810 kilometers east of Mindanao as of 10 a.m. yesterday. “This typhoon is still too far to affect any part of the country,” the weather …

  • Nonviolent disciplining of kids pushed

    Child rights advocates called on senators to pass and strongly endorse a law that will institutionalize positive and nonviolent methods of disciplining children.The Child Rights Network (CRN), Plan International Philippines (PIP), Philippine Legislators’ Committee on Population and Development (PLPCD), and Lihok Pilipinas Foundation led the call for the enactment of the Positive Discipline Bill.Several Quezon City Council members led by Majority Floor Leader Jesus Manuel Suntay, Victor Ferrer …

  • Method to their madness

    [caption id="attachment_256768" align="alignright" width="212"] Illustration by Rod Cañalita[/caption] EMMANUEL PORTUGAL Country Manager for the Philippines, VMware I look after the garden. I’d like to think that I have a green thumb—no plants have died so far! The ones I like now that I planted a few months ago is the Blue Iris. Like the town in the movie, my Blue Iris shows up in the morning and only appears for one day. …

  • JGFP Summer Tour on today

    The summer tour for local junior golfers kicks off with the holding of the ICTSI-JGFP Baguio Junior Open today and tomorrow at the treacherous Baguio Country Club course in Baguio.Sixty players aged 6 to 17 years old are entered in the 36-hole tourney serving as the opening leg of the summer circuit organized by the Junior Golf Foundation of the Philippines with the International Container Terminal Services, Inc. Foundation as main sponsor. ... …

  • PH now market ready to absorb infra bonds

    The Philippine market is now ready to absorb infrastructure bonds that will be issued by private companies amid a growing pipeline of infra-related projects under the government’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program. President Benigno Aquino III last week said the government is still committed to spend more on the country’s infrastructure, with 16 PPP projects currently on the pipeline and nine that have already been awarded. Over the years, some of the country’s biggest infrastructure …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options