South China Morning Post
Hong Kong medical sources said the city had another record number of Covid-19 infections on Thursday, while a government source told the Post work-from-home arrangements for civil servants would be extended for another week.The change to the present arrangement, which had been scheduled to expire on Sunday, was expected to be confirmed later on Thursday, the source said.Hong Kong set a new daily record for the second day running, after 113 new infections were reported on Wednesday, taking the city’s total number of confirmed cases to 2,132, with 14 related deaths.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.Among the newest cases was a 36-year-old policeman, who tested preliminarily positive for the coronavirus.Police said the officer, who is stationed at the New Territories South Traffic Headquarters, in Tsuen Wan, had worn a mask at work. His last day at the headquarters was on Monday, the force said.A medical source also confirmed that a general ward patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Yau Ma Tei, tested positive.Earlier, Secretary for Food and Health Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee again appealed for the public to stay indoors and avoid taking any unnecessary trips, as a source familiar with the situation said the number of people using public transport had only started to drop last Saturday. Union urges government to allow Hong Kong civil servants to work from homeThat was despite tightened social-distancing measures, such as restaurants being allowed to only serve takeaway between 6pm and 5am.Speaking on a radio programme, Chan said she hoped residents could have “more self-discipline and patience”.The health minister said the government would not rule out taking “stronger measures” if the situation continued to get worse.“We would look at tightening social-distancing measures, and any measures that can decrease crowds will be a step in the right direction,” she said.On Wednesday, Chan announced some tougher measures, including extending mandatory mask-wearing to all indoor public places from Thursday, and requiring residents returning from the United States and Kazakhstan to be quarantined in hotels rather than at home, and present proof they are free of the coronavirus before boarding flights back to the city, starting from July 29.During the first wave of Covid-19 infections, the administration ordered most of the city’s 180,000 civil servants who were not providing essential or urgent services to work from home from January 29. Many private organisations subsequently followed suit, but following initial signs the spread of the disease had been contained, some public employees returned to the office in early March, only to be told again to work from home from March 23.All government departments resumed services in early May after the virus eased, but Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor announced the latest rule for civil servants this past Sunday.Purchase the 120+ page China Internet Report 2020 Pro Edition, brought to you by SCMP Research, and enjoy a 30% discount (original price US$400). The report includes deep-dive analysis, trends, and case studies on the 10 most important internet sectors. Now in its 3rd year, this go-to source for understanding China tech also comes with exclusive access to 6+ webinars with C-level executives, including Charles Li, CEO of HKEX, James Peng, CEO/founder of Pony.ai, and senior executives from Alibaba, Huawei, Kuaishou, Pinduoduo, and more. Offer valid until 31 August 2020. To purchase, please click here.More from South China Morning Post: * Hong Kong third wave: government tightens preventive measures as number of Covid-19 cases hits record high of 113 * Hong Kong third wave: do you really need a Covid-19 test, and what are the steps to take if you do?This article Hong Kong third wave: another record day of Covid-19 cases, as government expected to extend work-from-home for civil servants first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.