Mali junta says counter-coup defeated

The soldiers who staged a coup in Mali in March said they had defeated a counter-coup by foreign-backed forces loyal to the ousted president in fighting that left 14 people dead.

They called the attack by paratroopers an attempt at a targeted killing of coup leader Captain Amadou Haya Sanogo, but insisted that the turmoil would not affect the rule by an interim civilian government.

Sanogo, who led the March 22 uprising that ousted president Amadou Toumani Toure, in a TV interview pledged that the transitional deal he agreed to on April 6 restoring civilian rule remained in force.

The resurgence of fighting however dimmed hopes for a quick return to order in the west African country where the turmoil has allowed Tuareg rebels and Islamist militants to seize the northern half of the country.

Gunfire erupted late Monday at the national television and radio station, the airport and at Kati, the garrison town near the capital that is the headquarters of the rebel soldiers.

By Tuesday morning, armoured vehicles were seen outside the key sites, and the junta leaders said on national TV they had restored order, though sporadic gunfire could be heard in the city.

A soldier reading out a message on television on behalf of Sanogo said "foreign elements backed by dark forces from inside the country carried out these attacks", adding that some had been arrested.

"We have had 14 dead and 40 wounded," Gabriel Toure hospital director Abdoulaye Nene Coulibaly told AFP, saying casualties were from both sides.

An AFP reporter saw members of the junta enter the Gabriel Toure hospital and whisk away several of the wounded troops loyal to the ousted president in 4X4 vehicles.

An angry officer shouted at the wounded: "Now you're going to tell us who were the ones who forced you to provoke us! You've been taught a lesson but it's not over yet."

While Sanogo on TV said the situation was "under control", an AFP reporter and witnesses heard heavy gunfire at around 1000 GMT near the loyalist base in central Bamako, though it was unclear who was shooting.

The junta's army chief of staff Ibrahim Dahirou Dembele later said on TV that the fighting had been an attempt to kill Sanogo.

"With the support of mercenaries, the paratroopers were to initially take over the (TV and radio station) and airport to allow reinforcements to arrive," he said.

"In a second step, the operations would lead them to attack the barracks of Kati with the aim of killing military leaders and especially... Sanogo."

He warned that "the enemies of Mali and their accomplices are at work".

The TV broadcast showed images of suspected loyalists who had been arrested, including one with what were said to be Burkina Faso ID documents.

When the Mali renegade soldiers staged their coup on March 22, shortly before scheduled elections, their power grab shattered the country's image as a democratic success story in the region.

Under diplomatic pressure from Mali's partners and military pressure from the advancing rebellion in the north, the junta agreed to hand power over to Dioncounda Traore, the former parliament speaker.

Traore was sworn in as interim president on April 12, but the situation in the country has remained volatile, and the junta has remained a political player that has made its influence felt.

Amid the chaos, an area the size of France has fallen into the hands of Islamist militias and Tuareg separatist rebels, many of them battle-hardened after serving as mercenaries in the Libyan conflict.

Concerned about the instability, the Economic Community of West African States has mediated the handover to an interim civilian government and pressured the junta to return to the barracks, with mixed success.

Sanogo on Saturday rejected a plan by ECOWAS leaders to send a stabilisation force and also nixed their demand for elections in Mali within 12 months.

A meeting that had been planned for Tuesday between an ECOWAS mediator, Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore, and a delegation of the former junta was cancelled, a source close to the mediators said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options