A man has been arrested by police on suspicion of killing Sabina Nessa

·2 min read
Photo credit: Met Police
Photo credit: Met Police

A man has been arrested on suspicion of killing Sabina Nessa, the Metropolitan Police have confirmed. The 36-year-old man was detained in East Sussex in the early hours of Sunday morning and is currently being held in police custody.

A statement on the official Metropolitan Police website said: "A 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder at around 3:00am on Sunday 26 September, at an address in East Sussex. He has been taken into police custody."

The statement also included a message from Detective Chief Inspector Neil John. John said: "Sabina’s family have been informed of this significant development. They continue to be supported by specialist officers."

On Thursday (23 September), the police released CCTV footage of a man they wanted to locate, as well as a car they believed he had access to. Although, it's unclear if the man in the CCTV images is the man being held in police custody.

Detectives have spent the last week investigating the murder of the 28-year-old teacher. Sabina was attacked at Cator Park in south east London at around 8:30pm on Friday 17 September, however her body wasn't found until the following day (the authorities were alerted at around 5:30pm). Officers have since revealed the attack took place while she was walking just five minutes to meet her friend at a pub, The Depot in Kidbrooke Village.

Speaking about the events leading up to her tragic death, Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector, Joe Garrity, said: "Sabina never arrived at the pub and is thought to have been murdered as she walked through the park."

He continued, "Sabina’s journey should have taken just over five minutes but she never made it to her destination. We know the community are rightly shocked by this murder – as are we – and we are using every resource available to us to find the individual responsible."

Over the weekend, Kate Middleton shared a heartfelt message in response to Sabina's tragic death. "I am saddened by the loss of another innocent young woman on our streets," she said, "My thoughts are with Sabina’s family and friends, and all those who have been affected by this tragic event. C."

Her tweet came just hours before women across London came together for a vigil in Sabina's honour. At the vigil, which was attended by over 500 people, Sabina's sister spoke to the crowd, while those paying their respect laid flowers, lit candles and remembered the young teacher who lost her life too soon.

Our thoughts are with Sabina's family at this incredibly sad time.

You Might Also Like

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting