Balotelli drops appeal over Man City fine

Manchester City's wayward striker Mario Balotelli has accepted a two-week fine over his poor disciplinary record and dropped an appeal to a Premier League tribunal, the club announced on Wednesday.

Lawyers representing the Italy international had been due to present an appeal on his behalf to a tribunal on Wednesday, after City reportedly fined him two weeks' wages for his on-pitch misdemeanours last season.

However, following talks between Balotelli and the club, the 22-year-old agreed to withdraw his case and accept his punishment.

"After amicable talks between the parties, as a sign of respect for (manager) Roberto Mancini, the supporters and the club, Mario Balotelli has chosen to accept a two week fine levied upon him by the club and withdraw his disciplinary appeal, which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel today (Wednesday)," City said in a statement.

"Mario remains available for selection for all forthcoming fixtures."

Balotelli missed 11 domestic and European games through suspension last season and he has endured a difficult start to the current campaign, scoring just once in the Premier League.

Mancini has twice dropped him from City's match-day squad and he was substituted at half-time of the English champions' 3-2 derby defeat by Manchester United earlier this month.

Mancini has repeatedly voiced his frustration at Balotelli's inability to harness his talent, prompting speculation that the player could leave the club during the January transfer window.

Balotelli joined City from Inter Milan for £24 million ($39.1 million, 29.4 million euros) in 2010.

He has been linked with a move to Inter's city rivals AC Milan but his agent says he has no intention of leaving the Etihad Stadium.

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Viernes Santo in Kalibo VERA Files - The Inbox
    Viernes Santo in Kalibo

    Photos by Little Wing Luna, VERA Files Text by Mitch Meñez Kalibo, Aklan--Viernes Santo or Good Friday is the most solemn of all the days in Holy Week. It commemorates the Passion and Death of Jesus on the Cross. The … Continue reading → …

  • Hugas Dugo VERA Files - The Inbox
    Hugas Dugo

    Text by Kimmy Baraoidan, VERA Files Photos by Chris Quintana and Kimmy Baraoidan Pakil, Laguna--In the small town of Pakil, Laguna resides a group of men who call themselves Hugas Dugo. Most members of the group are residents of the … Continue reading → …

  • Lenten procession more than just a spectacle VERA Files - The Inbox

    Text and photos by Kiersnerr Gerwin Tacadena, VERA Files Baliuag, Bulacan--This town is hosting what could be the country’s biggest Lenten procession consisting of more than 100 religious statues riding on carriages or carrozas. But concerns are being raised that … Continue reading → …

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options