Man dies in Tisa, Cebu City fire

·2 min read

TWO Christmas Day fires in Barangays Tisa and Sambag 2, Cebu City killed a man with a mental condition, injured four people and burned 36 houses and establishments.

Over P16 million was the estimate of the damage in both fire incidents, a tragic experience for affected residents who are still dealing with the Typhoon Odette aftermath.

The first incident happened at 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 25 in Sitio Mansanitas, Tisa where a 26-year-old man with a mental illness died after his family failed to rescue him.

The fatality was identified in a report by the Cebu City Fire Office (CCFO) as Aljay Campos.

FO3 Fulbert Navarro, investigator at CCFO, said the fatality had been chained inside his family’s house before the fire broke out due to his condition.

Navarro said the man’s mother tried to save Campos, but she failed to do so.

“Wala maluwas sa inahan kay dili kamao mobadbad sa kadena ug kandado (The mother failed to rescue him as she forgot how to unlock the chain),” Navarro said.

The blaze reportedly started in the house of Manolito Sapina, who also suffered second degree burns on his shoulders, head and face.

The blaze destroyed 20 houses, affecting 48 families or 276 individuals.

Firefighters arrived in Mansanitas, which is located in Tisa’s interior, in about 14 minutes. The firefighters then put out the flames at 9:45 a.m.

Investigation showed that the fire started in the house rented by one Manolito Sapina. The damage to properties was pegged at P800,000.

Sambag 2 blaze

In Barangay Sambag 2, a fire hit a residential and commercial area, destroying 13 houses and establishments and damaging three others last Saturday night.

Over P15.5 million was the estimated worth of properties destroyed by the fire.

Three people were injured: Arthuro Salas Jr., 56, who suffered an abrasion in his left knee; Guillerma Susmena, 84, possible fracture in her left arm and burn in the back of her body; and Gina Salaban, 48, second-degree burn on her left cheek and mild burn on her forehead.

The CCFO received the fire alarm at 9:04 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 25.

The first fire trucks arrived at the fire scene on J. Urgello St. at 9:07 p.m. An hour later, firefighters controlled the flames from spreading further in the neighborhood.

Mantuyong fire

At 3:13 p.m. on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, a fire burned 35 houses in Barangay Mantuyong, Mandaue City.

The blaze reportedly started in the house of one Annabelle Siarot. Its damage was pegged at P525,000.

Richard Ocon, 32, was hurt in the incident. Firefighters from the Mandaue City Fire Office declared a fire out at 5:20 p.m.

Investigators still have to determine the causes behind the three fire incidents. (with REV)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting