Man Utd will remain title favourites: Mancini

Roberto Mancini insists Manchester United will still be favourites for the Premier League title, even if City win Monday's derby at Eastlands.

United have seen an eight-point advantage slip away thanks to a defeat at Wigan and last weekend's 4-4 draw with Everton.

A victory will move City level on points with the champions with better goal difference and just two matches remaining.

But while City head to Champions League-chasing Newcastle and then host relegation-threatened QPR, United face matches against Swansea and Sunderland that Mancini has dismissed as "easy."

City had led the table for five months before their own winless three-match run and Mancini feels that whatever happens on Monday, United should still win a 20th title.

Mancini said: "I think they have more chance than us because we play derby Monday after we play against Newcastle, that will be a very tough game.

"Instead United play Swansea and Sunderland, for them, they will be two easy games. If we win this game, they are favourites.

"I have a big respect for United because for me they are the best team here and maybe in Europe with Barca, Real Madrid.

"(When we were ahead) I used to wait always until the end of the championship because in football we lose seven points in four games, this can happen for the other team. You can lose a point everywhere."

City are hoping for a first league title since 1968 and despite leading for so long, Mancini maintains he will be happy with the club's progress even if they fail to win the league.

Mancini, who has a year remaining on his contract, saw his team's first ever Champions League campaign end in the group stages but feels the squad have made progress.

The Italian added: "I think we should be proud for our season because we did 80 points, we won the last three games, we have another three games. Also if we beat them it will be very difficult for us.

"In the last two years we improve a lot and this is very important. It is important we are here at the end of the season we play for the title."

United have prepared for the game with a training break in Wales and although Mancini insists his own team's preparations have not changed, he joked that he hopes Alex Ferguson's squad remain in Cardiff.

"If they want to stay there until Tuesday! If they don't come we win the game!" he said.

Mancini, who has a fully-fit squad for the United match, has hinted he will consider using Mario Balotelli after the striker returned from his third suspension of the season.

Defender Micah Richards had been doubtful with a hamstring problem but is fit to play.

The manager claimed Balotelli would not play for the club again following his red card in the 1-0 defeat at Arsenal earlier this month.

But Balotelli is now back with the squad and could feature against United but Mancini has yet to make up his mind whether the controversial striker, who starred in the 6-1 win at Old Trafford in October, will start the match.

After helping the club to three consecutive victories, former United striker Carlos Tevez is expected to start in attack alongside fellow Argentina international Sergio Aguero.

Mancini said: "All the players are available. We have another two training sessions but we have all the players available. I have 48 hours to decide this."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral
    China subs outnumber US fleet – admiral

    China is building some “fairly amazing submarines” and now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered vessels than the United States, a top US Navy admiral told US lawmakers on Wednesday, although he said their quality was inferior. Vice Admiral Joseph Mulloy, deputy chief of naval operations for capabilities and resources, told the House Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee that China was also expanding the geographic areas of operation for its submarines, and their length of …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options