Mandaue City evacuates 1,044 residents living near danger zones

MORE residents have been ordered to evacuate by the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) Mandaue, as part of a preemptive measure while Severe Tropical Storm Paeng continues to dump rain throughout Cebu and other parts of the country.

CDRRMO head Buddy Alain Ybañez told SunStar Cebu on Saturday, October 29, 2022, that residents who lived near the Butuanon River's outfall in 6.5 Zone Ahos, Barangay Paknaan were told to leave their homes on Friday night, October 28.

Also on Friday, the CDRRMO ordered families living within the three-meter easement zone along the Butuanon River in Barangays Tingub, Maguikay and Casuntingan to evacuate.

According to the data from the CDRRMO, 1,044 individuals, or 269 families, have already been evacuated and are staying in the city’s seven evacuation camps, as of 12:35 p.m. on Saturday.

But Ybañez clarified that no area in Mandaue has been flooded so far, even with the scattered rains.

He urged people, particularly those living within danger zones, to cooperate and not wait for a tragedy to strike before they decide to evacuate. (HIC)