Mandaue floods on August 17 strand motorists for 3 hours

·2 min read

FLOODING in four areas in Mandaue City brought by the heavy downpour in Metro Cebu Wednesday afternoon, August 17, 2022, has stranded motorists for hours, as they waited for the floodwaters to subside.

Robert Ian Carungay, radio operator of the Mandaue Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO), identified the flooded areas as some portions of barangays Tipolo, Subangdaku, Banilad and Looc.

Carungay told SunStar Cebu that floodwaters in Tipolo, Subangdaku and Looc were knee- to waist-deep on Wednesday, while in Banilad, it reached chest level.

He said the flood in Banilad, particularly on A.S. Fortuna Street, occurred after a portion of the nearby Mahiga Creek overflowed.

The flood lasted for about three hours, hampering the travel of several motorists, specifically those passing Tipolo.

But Carungay said Mandaue's major rivers, such as the Butuanon River, did not overflow and no individuals were harmed or evacuated.

The flood problem in Mandaue has prompted the City Government to recently discuss about reviving its long-planned comprehensive drainage system.

The plan targets to overhaul the city's drainage pipes by replacing them with bigger ones and opening more outfalls or discharge points from a stormwater pipe to help de-clog rainwater fast during downpour.

Mayor Jonas Cortes said he had already coordinated with Mandaue Lone District Representative Emmarie "Lolypop" Ouano-Dizon to seek appropriate funds from the National Government for the full implementation of the project.

Cortes said they would prioritize the city's flood-prone areas, such as M.C. Briones St. in Barangay Tipolo, A.C. Cortes Ave. in Barangay Ibabao, and A.S. Fortuna St. in Barangay Banilad, among others.

He also called on the public to observe proper and responsible waste disposal, as clogged waste in the waterways is one of the major flood contributors. (HIC)