Manhunt on for 2 minors who fatally stabbed teen

·2 min read

LOCAL police are now conducting a manhunt operation for two men involved in the robbery and murder of a 16-year-old boy in Barangay Bulacao, Cebu City on Saturday night, August 6, 2022.

Lt. Col. Wilbert Parilla, deputy director for administration of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), said they had ordered the immediate arrest of the two suspects, who are brothers, involved in the killing of 16-year-old Jerome Rivera Estan.

Estan was walking along N. Bacalso Avenue in Barangay Bulacao when he was allegedly attacked by five men and stabbed and robbed by them. Estan had just attended the birthday party of his father and uncle in Minglanilla before he was killed.

Cohorts pinpoint suspects

On Sunday, August 7, local police invited Jether Tabora, 22, and two minors who were allegedly involved as “persons of interest” in Estan’s murder.

The three men denied their involvement but told police about the two suspects who remained at large.

According to Parilla, the two suspects’ motive in killing Estan was believed to be a sort of “paregla,” which refers to an unprovoked attack.

Parilla said the two suspects decided to kill Estan after he attempted to fight them off.

He said the three men they invited for questioning said they personally witnessed how the two suspects attacked Estan.

“One of the minors told us that they were just standing around, waiting for someone to bully. It was not their intention to kill the victim. They also admitted that they were drunk at the time of the incident,” Parilla added in Cebuano.

After stabbing and killing Estan, the two suspects then stole his cellular phone before fleeing from the scene.

Police Senior MSgt. Geofrey Gutual, the investigator on the case, said that following the incident, a minor identified only as “Chubby” surrendered to the Inayawan Police Station with his parents to surrender the cellular phone owned by Estan.

Chubby told police that the two suspects, who were also minors, turned over the victim’s cellular phone to him as they fled the crime scene.

Police also asked Chubby to let them access his social media accounts, where investigators found his conversation with the two suspects on their plan to escape from the law.

Isolated case

A patrol car was stationed near the site of the incident, but Parilla admitted that

it was not there at that time as local police were conducting a checkpoint operation somewhere else.

Earlier, the CCPO ordered all patrol cars assigned in the city’s 11 police stations deployed in areas where crime often took place, including Barangay Bulacao.

But Parilla said he still considered the incident an “isolated case” as it was the first time in six years that someone, particularly a minor, had been robbed and killed at the same time. (AYB / JKV)