Manila bus hostage crisis: Two survivors want govt apology on paper

(Updated 8:13 a.m.) - Former President and now Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada apologized Wednesday to survivors the Manila bus hostage crisis in August 2010, but two of the survivors dismissed the mayor's statement as hollow and coming too late.

“On behalf of the people of Manila, as the mayor, I want to say: we are sorry for the incident, for what happened to the victims,” Estrada said in an exclusive interview with a Hong Kong cable channel Tuesday,

Estrada is the first Fiipino public official to personally issue an apology to victims of the hostage-taking incident.

He said that had he been mayor during the incident, he would have apologized sooner.

“I will take full responsibility. I will apologize. As the one in charge, you cannot blame your subordinates,” the actor-turned politician said. Estrada was elected mayor in May over his predecessor, re-electionist Alfredo S. Lim, who was chief executive of the capital city during the hostage crisis.

Lim was criticized for having left the command center when disgruntled former police officer Rolando Mendoza seized a bus and held hostage its 25 passengers on August 2010. Of those on the bus during the incident, 21 were Hong Kong tourists on their way out of the country.

Eight of the 21 Hong Kong tourists did not make it out of the bus alive.

Too little, too late

However, at least two survivors of the hostage crisis said Estrada’s apology was hollow, and came three years too late.

"It has been three years and the Manila government has not done anything to compensate us," said Yik Siu-ling in a South China Morning Post report.

Yik’s lower jaw was shattered by a bullet during the incident.

Similarly, Tse Chi-kin, whose younger brother, Masa Tse Ting-chunn, was killed, said Estrada wasn’t the right person to apologize.

"It's inappropriate that a new guy just comes out and says he's sorry," he said.

Tse said an appropriate apology would at least require a formal letter from the governement.

Since the 2010 hostage incident, a black travel warning for the Philippines issued by the Hong Kong government has stayed in place, despite repeated appeals by the Philippine government to remove it.

Four HK demands

Since then, surviving victims have called for a public apology from President Benigno Aquino III, as well as for monetary compensation and for erring officials to be sacked. The victims also want improved tourist safety.

Aquino, however, ruled out an apology, calling it unnecessary.

“We deeply regret what has transpired. The apology connotes that the State did them grievous harm, I don’t think that is correct. This was the act of one man," Aquino told reporters in 2011.

While Estrada said his predecessor, Lim, should have apologized, he defended Aquino’s decision not to apologize.

“The chief executive of the town or the city is in charge of that, not the president. The mayor will apologize for that, not the president,” he said.

"As a mayor of the city, you should be on top of all this, you should direct everything. But unfortunately, my predecessor (Lim), did not do that,” Estrada added.

Suit to be filed in HK

Meanwhile, the survivors and relatives of those who died in the tragedy said they will sue the Philippine government for compensation, a Hong Kong news site reported Thursday.

A report on Radio Television Hong Kong said the legal action stemmed from Manila's supposed ignoring of their call for action.

RTHK said the relatives and survivors plan to file the suit in a Hong Kong court.

It added they plan to include in the suit former Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim and "seven other officials involved in handling the crisis."

— ELR/KG, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pacquiao pleads for Indonesia to spare death row Filipina
    Pacquiao pleads for Indonesia to spare death row Filipina

    World boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao took time out Monday from final preparations for his $400 million megafight with Floyd Mayweather to plead for the life of a Filipina on death row in Indonesia. Pacquiao, a national hero in the Philippines, added his voice to a chorus of global opposition led by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to the executions of a group of eight foreign drug convicts, including compatriot Mary Jane Veloso. The eight-division world champion, who will face …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia urged Indonesia Monday to delay the execution of two men for drug offences until a corruption probe into their case is complete, after a report that judges sought tens of thousands of dollars in bribes. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face the firing squad within days, along with others from Brazil, Nigeria, the Philippines and an Indonesian prisoner. The Indonesian attorney-general's office said the executions would take place this week but did …

  • FordPH Launches the All-New Mustang
    FordPH Launches the All-New Mustang

    Ford Philippines launched the all-new Mustang in a rock concert held at Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, last week .  The All-New Mustang is the sixth generation since Ford  launched the first model in April 17, 1964. “The all-new Mustang represents the very best of Ford and its arrival marks the latest chapter of the iconic muscle car’s rich legacy, crafted with a more contemporary look and feel.  With a history spanning more than 50 years, this iconic car is at the heart and soul of Ford and …

  • China maritime tensions dominate Southeast Asia summit
    China maritime tensions dominate Southeast Asia summit

    By Manuel Mogato and Praveen Menon KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Southeast Asian leaders edged closer to open criticism of China's land reclamation in the disputed South China Sea at a regional summit on Monday, as the Philippines drew the ire of Beijing which called its objections to the work "unreasonable". The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in Kuala Lumpur, which was supposed to showcase the 10-member bloc's progress towards economic integration, was overshadowed by the …

  • The ‘All You Need’ 2015 Isuzu D-MAX launched
    The ‘All You Need’ 2015 Isuzu D-MAX launched

    Isuzu Philippines Corporation (IPC) just recently introduced the 2015 Isuzu D-MAX pick-up truck at the Clark International Raceway to show that their pick-up model can conquer any kind of terrain.The high-end LS variant and standard LT 4x4 is now equipped with a more powerful engine, the 4JK1-TC (Hi) 2.5-liter engine which with Common Rail Direct Injection and an intercooled Variable Geometry System (VGS) turbocharger. IPC also introduced a new standard ride variant, the LT-X 4x2 manual …

  • Limited Edition Honda CR-V and Jazz now available
    Limited Edition Honda CR-V and Jazz now available

    If you’ve always wanted to be part of an exclusive group of car owners, now might be the time for you to consider getting a Honda CR-V or Jazz.  Honda Cars Philippines Inc. (HCPI) just came out with their limited edition All New Jazz and New CR-V. …

  • ToyotaPH hit its highest monthly sales last March
    ToyotaPH hit its highest monthly sales last March

    Toyota Motors Philippines hit its highest monthly sales to date last March, registering 10,237 units sold.  This recent CAMPI report puts Toyota’s market share at 43.5% last month. …

  • VolkswagenPH launches Child Safety Initiative
    VolkswagenPH launches Child Safety Initiative

    Volkswagen Philippines just  launched the VW Child Safety Initiative (CSI) campaign which aims to support child safety on Philippine roads at the just concluded Manila International Auto Show (MIAS). The World Health Organization’s road safety facts show about 1.24 million die each year globally as a result of vehicle related accidents. Child restraint systems like child seats and booster seats also reduce risk for children by about 70% for infants and upto 80% for small children. This …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options