Maximo Aton: The ideal cab driver

If you think most cab drivers are dishonest and dangerous, then exclude Maximo Aton from your list.

A certain Raine Cruz on Thursday "shared" that Aton was one honest cabbie everyone should emulate.
 
In a lengthy Facebook post, Cruz said the cab driver turned his “stressful day” into an inspiring one.

After a long day at work, he and his companion named Hero, hailed Aton’s taxi from Crowne Plaza Hotel in Ortigas, and asked him to bring them home in Taytay, Rizal.

Upon reaching their destination, Cruz said they noticed that they left one of their bags which contained a laptop and P5,000 in cash in Aton’s taxi.

He immediately called Crowne Plaza hoping its security personnel has kept the record of the taxi cabs in the area. Cruz said he was surprised as the hotel's security personnel not only provided him the cab's plate number but the driver's contact number as well.

He then called Aton, told him he was the passenger he took to Taytay, and asked for their bag.

“Sabi ko, ‘Sir, baka pwedeng makuha ko yung bag kasi importante yung laman.’ Hindi ko sinabi kung ano even though alam ko na pwede niyang tignan yung laman,” Cruz noted.

In which Aton replied, “Ay oo sir, may naiwan kayong bag. Sinubukan kong bumalik sa inyo, hindi ko na matandaan yung lugar.” The cabbie added that he was about to return the bag to Crowne Plaza since he didn’t know what to do with it.

Cruz said they could just meet at the hotel and retrieve their bag when the driver offered that they could meet in a nearer place.

“Nahiya ako at the same time medyo nagtaka dahil mapapalayo pa siya para lang hindi ako mahirapan. Effort talaga siya,” the passenger added in his post.

He said Aton arrived at their agreed meeting place and surrendered their bag with the laptop and money intact.
 
“Para sa akin napakalaking bagay ng effort na ginawa niya, kung tutuusin pera na yun at may gamit pa. Binibigyan ko siya ng pera para sa abala, ayaw niyang tanggapin. Pero pinilit ko pa din iabot. Nakakatuwang naranasan ko yung ganito. May mga ganitong tao pa pala. Para sa akin saludo ako at hindi lahat ng taxi driver may kalokohan. Salamat sir!

“Kahit sa pamamagitan lang ng Facebook, gusto kong ipaabot ang lubos na pasasalamat ko. Maliit na bagay man ang post na ito, sana nang dahil dito makilala ka ng marami. Saludo ako sayo!” the grateful passenger concluded.

As of this writing, Cruz’ post has been shared 3,351 times and flooded with praises for Aton.

In March, the Department of Tourism has also hailed another honest taxi driver as the country’s “model of fun.”

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options