McIlroy, Donald battle for top spot at Wentworth

The battle to be the world's top-ranked golfer will again be a subplot of this week's PGA Championship which starts on Thursday at Wentworth.

Luke Donald, who deposed Lee Westwood at the top of the rankings when winning last year's title, is the only player who can topple current number one Rory McIlroy but needs to repeat his victory of 12 months ago to do so.

However McIlroy performs, Donald has to finish eighth alone or better to have any chance of reclaiming his place at the head of the rankings.

A win for Westwood, who displaced Tiger Woods as number one in October 2010, would leave him just short of top spot.

But US Open champion McIlroy is confident he has the game to see off his rivals and hang onto his title as the world's best golfer.

"You have to think you can beat everybody else," McIlroy told reporters after competing in the eve-of-tournament Pro-Am at Wentworth.

"You have to believe you are the best and I certainly believe that. It is just a matter of going out there and showing everyone else what I believe."

World number three Westwood, who missed out in a play-off to Donald last year, has a new caddy after his regular bag man Billy Foster injured his knee playing football ahead of Quail Hollow.

New Zealand-born Michael Waite, who won the US Open with Michael Campbell in 2005, has stepped in but Westwood admitted that Foster's absence was less than ideal.

Westwood said: "It's obviously quite disruptive. He is an integral part of the team. My game and results have obviously improved the last few years as a result of Billy being on the bag, so it is very disruptive.

"But I have got an able replacement and we will see how the next few weeks goes."

Donald will start the defence of his title playing with England's Justin Rose and Spaniard Alvaro Quiros for the first two rounds whilst McIlroy is grouped with three-time major winner Ernie Els from South Africa and Scotland's Martin Laird.

Westwood is grouped with Ireland's Graeme McDowell and Thomas Bjorn from Denmark.

There are a record number of 14 major champions in the field including Els who with his course designer hat on has made more changes to the course.

Two years ago Els was criticised by his fellow players for altering the course, particularly the par-5 18th that caused drama in last year's play-off when Westwood hit his approach into the water around the green.

Further tinkering ahead of the tournament a year ago also did not meet with the approval of many of the golfers with Ian Poulter being one of the loudest to vent his disapproval.

Els has made some minor modifications to the course for the flagship event of the European Tour and is convinced he has finally come up with a fair test of golf.

"I think the guys will have a lot better scoring opportunities," Els told reporters at Wentworth.

"It is a par 72, six-under won last year. I think 14 or 16-under is going to be the winning score and hopefully we will have a lot more smiling faces from the players this year."

The 18th has provided some grandstand finishes over the years and Els believes the latest changes, with players hitting their approach shots from an elevated part of the fairway to a small green surrounded by water will provide the same this year.

He added: "It is going to be a great finishing hole. There is water so there is risk and reward if you want to go for it. It is an exciting finish and you can make an eagle there now."

Meanwhile England's Simon Dyson, the reigning Irish and Dutch Open champion, has withdrawn from the tournament with a hip injury.

Dyson, who pulled out of the Players Championship in Florida two weeks ago, is replaced in the field by Dutchman Maarten Lafeber.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options