McIlroy hopes to find form at PGA Tour's Memorial

Rory McIlroy, suddenly struggling with his US Open title defence looming, will try to get back on track this week at the US PGA Tour's Memorial.

Two straight missed cuts at prestigious events, the US tour's Players Championship and the European Tour's BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth, have seen McIlroy surrender the world number one ranking.

Things got so bad at Wentworth that the 23-year-old's frustration spilled over with a tossed club.

"When you've went on a run when you've hardly finished outside the top five, and then all of a sudden two missed cuts, it's more of a shock than anything else," McIlroy said Wednesday as he prepared to tee off on Thursday in the $6.2 million Memorial, hosted by Jack Nicklaus at Muirfield Village.

"Just a little bit surprising, and it's something I haven't really had to deal with in a while, and I just have to knuckle down and figure it out and get back to the way I was at the start of the year."

With the US Open, the second major championship of the year, due to tee off at the Olympic Club in San Francisco on June 14, the Memorial will give McIlroy a chance to test himself against some of the game's best.

World No. 1 Luke Donald of England, Masters champion Bubba Watson, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are here, along with defending champion Steve Stricker.

No matter how this week goes, McIlroy has scheduled himself to play the St. Jude Classic next week to give himself more golf before he defends the US Open title he won at Congressional last year.

"I just feel like I need more rounds," he said. "These two-day weeks aren't really that good for me."

McIlroy admitted that he was still getting used the spotlight that has accompanied his rise to the top of golf, which focuses not only on his game but also on his relationship with tennis-star girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki and, of course, any lapses in behavior.

"Last week I threw my 6-iron on the 12th hole, and I didn't think it was that big of a deal," McIlroy said. "And then I wake up the next morning and it's all over the papers in the UK. And I'm just like, 'Oh, my god.' It's just one of those things, and it's something I'm going to have to deal with and learn how to do."

Donald, who has held the top ranking for much of the past two years, swapping it with McIlroy in recent months, was sympathetic.

"You can't blame the kid," Donald said. "But he's obviously realized that, and it looks like he's trying to focus on practicing a little bit harder and getting back to what he does."

Tiger Woods, a 14-time major champion, is more than familiar with the kind of scrutiny McIlroy is receiving.

Earlier this year, Woods ended a 17-month victory drought by capturing the Arnold Palmer Classic at Bay Hill.

Since then, however, he has struggled, missing the cut at Quail Hollow and sharing 40th at the Players Championship. He tied for 40th a the Masters, where has won four times.

On Tuesday, Woods told fans in an on-line chat that he thinks he has "plenty of time" to break Nicklaus's record of 18 major title.

Woods hasn't won a major since the 2008 US Open.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options