MCWD discharges 110k cbm/day of water after ‘Odette’

·3 min read

THE Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) has already discharged 110,000 cubic meters of water per day to its franchise areas as of Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021, or five days after Typhoon Odette (Rai) hit Cebu.

The amount of water discharged by MCWD accounted for 45 percent of its total supply before the typhoon hit Cebu City and local government units (LGUs) included in its franchise area on the evening of Dec. 16.

On its official Facebook page, MCWD said the amount of water it will provide to the public will increase once power distributor Visayan Electric Company can power its pumping stations.

For now, MCWD will still continue providing power-generating sets to its pumping stations to ensure the continuity of its water supply to its franchise areas.

In a press conference on Wednesday, Dec. 22, Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama said Barangays Tisa, Lahug, Apas, Sambag 1, Kamputhaw, Kinasang-an, Basak Pardo, Talamban and Banilad are still experiencing no water supply as MCWD’s pumping stations can’t reach those areas even with generator sets. Rama said it is possible that more barangays situated near the metropolitan area have little to no water at all.

The City must still provide clean drinking water aside from reusable water for bathing and other uses, Rama said.

Clean water

MCWD Chairman Jose Daluz III said the water they provide is clean and drinkable. Even though not all barangays are having a stable water supply, water tankers owned by MCWD and those by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) are continuing their water rationing in those areas, Daluz added.

Meanwhile, around 1,200 residents of Barangay Apas in Cebu City received bottled water courtesy of the Office of the President-Office of the Presidential Assistant for the Visayas (Opav).

Upon the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte and the guidance of Sen. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, Opav Secretary Michael Lloyd Dino purchased bottled water for distribution in various areas in Cebu and Bohol. This will serve as a stop-gap measure amid the shortage of water supply in the typhoon-stricken areas.

During the distribution of bottled water at the Sitio San Miguel basketball court, there were 2,640 1.5-liter bottles of water given to the Barangay Apas residents.

The distribution was led by Dino’s sons Christian Mikaelo and Paolo Mikel, Undersecretary Jonji Gonzales, Assistant Secretary Girlie Enriquez Veloso and City Councilor Raymond Alvin Garcia.

Earlier, 24,000 liters of bottled water had been delivered to the municipality of Argao, which was among the badly-hit areas in Cebu.

Around 50,000 1.5-liter bottled water has been allotted for distribution in Cebu.

Dino also negotiated for the use of a mobile water treatment plant using reverse osmosis technology from Vivant Corp. and Watermatic Philippines.

The equipment, which will be loan, has been delivered to Tagbilaran port Sunday and will be used to address the shortage of potable water, which was also experienced in Bohol. (PAC, PR)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting