MCWD spokesperson resigns

THE spokesperson of the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) has resigned from her post after nine years in the water district.

Brushing aside speculations that her resignation was prompted by a power struggle within the MCWD board of directors, Charmaine Rodriguez-Kara said she was now ready to move on to other opportunities that had opened for her.

“I am leaving MCWD--my home for the last nine years. I call it home because it never really felt like work there for a single moment. That’s how blessed I was to enjoy what I was doing,” said Kara in a Facebook post.

She said her resignation took effect on Feb. 21, 2020.

Kara had worked under three sets of MCWD board of directors and five general managers since 2011.

Last year, Kara acted as spokesperson for MCWD during a raging controversy involving members of the board who were terminated by Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella.

Three of those fired, Ralph Sevilla, Augustus Pe and Cecilia Adlawan, later sued Labella before the Regional Trial Court asking the courts to nullify the termination order as well as the designation of interim members of the board of directors.

On Jan. 6, 2020, Labella appointed new members of the MCWD board: former Cebu City Councilor Jose Daluz III, Francisco Malilong Jr., Manolette Dinsay and Miguelito Pato.

In her post, Kara said it was now her time to pursue other things that God had in store for her.

She also thanked Cebu media, Capitol officials, the mayors of the eight local government units that the district is serving, government agencies and MCWD’s private partners.

In a phone interview with SunStar Cebu, Kara denied talk that her resignation had something to do with on-going issues of the MCWD board.

She said she had plans of going abroad.

Following her resignation, her position will be abolished, Kara said.

Quoting the MCWD human resource department, the former spokesperson said several competent managers in MCWD can do her work in a concurrent capacity. (JCT)