MEDELLIN Mayor Joven “Benjun” Mondigo Jr. has tested positive for Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
In a letter posted on the northern Cebu town’s Facebook page Monday night, September 6, 2021, Mondigo said he was experiencing only mild symptoms and that he would continue to function as mayor, engaging with local officials and the Medellin Inter-Agency Task Force members, among others, virtually.
He said he had been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and urged others to do the same.
“I continue to encourage everyone to get vaccinated in the soonest possible time. Vaccine works, a lot,” he said.
The mayor revealed that he had begun his isolation last Thursday after receiving a positive result on a Rapid Antigen Test.
He subsequently took an RT-PCR test, and the results had just come back positive.
Following the latest development, Mondigo said the Office of the Mayor would be closed for disinfection.
He called on all he had been in close contact with to isolate themselves and get tested for Sars-CoV-2 if they develop symptoms.
Mondigo is the 14th mayor in Cebu to get infected with Covid-19.
The others are Jonas Cortes of Mandaue City, Gerald Anthony Gullas Jr. of Talisay City, Sun Shimura of Daanbantayan, Junard Chan of Lapu-Lapu City, Danilo Diamante of Tuburan, Antonio Pintor of Asturias, Lakambini Reluya of San Fernando, Michael Angelo Sestoso of Alcoy, Dean Michael Singco of Ginatilan, Jose Tumulak of Oslob, Jeffrey Belciña of Dalaguete, Marjorie Perales of Toledo City and the late Marlon Garcia of Barili.
As of September 4, Medellin had 111 active Covid-19 cases.
Since the start of the pandemic, it has reported 575 cases, of which 435 were recoveries and 29 were deaths.
The majority of its active cases are in Barangays Poblacion (26 cases), Tindog (19 cases) and Antipolo (11 cases). (JKV, CTL)