Megaupload boss takes 'freedom fight' to Twitter

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has taken to Twitter as a self-styled "freedom fighter" as he waits to find out if the United States can extradite him from New Zealand to face online piracy charges.

The German national has amassed more than 56,000 followers in less than three weeks since he began tweeting on June 19, which he gleefully pointed out Friday exceeded New Zealand Prime Minister John Key's 52,500 following.

"Next stop @BarackObama," he joked, setting his sights on matching the US president's 17.2 million followers on the micro-blogging website.

Dotcom is free on bail after armed New Zealand police, cooperating with a US investigation, arrested him at his sprawling Auckland mansion in January -- a raid a High Court judge later ruled illegal.

US authorities allege Megaupload and related file-sharing websites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

Dotcom denies any wrongdoing in a case US prosecutors have described as the world's largest copyright action.

His Twitter profile @KimDotcom makes clear how he sees himself: "Founder of Megaupload and Freedom Fighter".

"They picked the wrong guy," one tweet read. Another said authorities had "declared war" on Megaupload, the Internet and innovation.

"It's time to fight back. Let's all unite and show them," he added.

Dotcom, who changed his name from Kim Schmitz, has also poked fun at the racketeering and money laundering charges he faces, which could see him jailed for up to 20 years if convicted in a US court.

He posted a photo with the title "flight risk!!!!" showing the portly businessman waving his arms on the mansion lawn, mocking prosecution arguments he would flee New Zealand if released on bail, after spending a month in jail following his arrest.

Another photo showed co-accused Megaupload executive Mathias Ortmann washing bank notes in a suds-filled tub, a reference to the money laundering charges.

Dotcom last month tweeted his delight at making a Reader's Digest list of the 100 most trusted people in New Zealand, and the High Court ruling that declared the raid on his home illegal.

He has also railed against prosecutors for freezing his assets, revealing the emotional toll the charges have taken on him.

"No funds for lawyers. No justice for Mega users. Dirty prosecution tactics. It's BAD," said one tweet. In another he declared: "I'm learning who my friends are, how much pain I can take and how inhumane the world outside can be."

Dotcom's extradition hearing is scheduled for August 6 in Auckland. Before then, a US court will hear a motion from his lawyers on July 27 to dismiss all charges.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Taklub’ wins jury prize in Cannes
    ‘Taklub’ wins jury prize in Cannes

    The Yolanda-inspired film “Taklub” has won a special award at the Cannes Film Festival in France. The advocacy film, which had a successful premiere last Tuesday under the festival’s Un Certain Regard section, is directed by 2009 Cannes best director Brillante Mendoza and top-billed by Nora Aunor. The award cited the film’s sensitive portrayal of individuals and communities in the Philippines fighting to continue living despite natural disasters exposing them to suffering and death. …

  • Orphan tops chemical engineering board exam
    Orphan tops chemical engineering board exam

    A 21-year-old orphan from Capiz topped the chemical engineering board examinations held this month. Remington Salaya, a cum laude graduate of the Central Philippine University in Iloilo, ranked first in the board examinations with a score of 83.30 percent. Out of 405 chemical engineering graduates who took the exam in mid-May, 239 passed. …

  • A sunset party for APEC delegates
    A sunset party for APEC delegates

    Greeted by the beat of Ati-atihan drummers, delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation trade ministers meeting enjoyed a welcome dinner and cultural presentation at sunset yesterday. Dubbed FuntaSea, Shangri-La Boracay Resort and Spa’s Banyugan Beach was transformed into a fantasy island, complete with mermaids, fire dancers, and choreographed paraws (sailboat) representing the best of Boracay. With APEC meetings being held all over the Philippines, each presentation is conceptualized …

  • UN chief urges peaceful solution of sea dispute
    UN chief urges peaceful solution of sea dispute

    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Friday for a peaceful solution to territorial disputes in the South China Sea, where China’s increased assertiveness has alarmed its smaller neighbors. In Manila, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. appealed to China to respect various international agreements on freedom of navigation and aviation. Coloma’s call came in the wake of an incident Wednesday where Chinese naval forces warned a US …

  • Phl seeks transparency, inclusivity in Asean-China Center
    Phl seeks transparency, inclusivity in Asean-China Center

    Philippine Ambassador to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Elizabeth Buensuceso has called on participants of the ASEAN-China Center (ACC) brainstorming session to vigorously work on promoting ASEAN-China relations under the principles of inclusivity, transparency and centrality. The brainstorming session, attended by the ACC’s joint council and joint executive board members, also involved a midterm review of ACC’s work since its establishment in 2011. The ACC aims to promote …

  • Lebanon tightens rules on HSW repatriation
    Lebanon tightens rules on HSW repatriation

    Distressed Filipino domestic helpers in Lebanon may find it more difficult to return home. The government of Lebanon has tightened the rules on repatriation of distressed household service workers (HSWs), Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz reported yesterday. Citing a report from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Baldoz said the Lebanese government opted to re-impose a previous policy requiring investigation into every case of HSWs who ran away from their employers and sought …

  • Army execs face attrition over promotion quota
    Army execs face attrition over promotion quota

    Dozens of Philippine Army officials may be removed from the service due to a promotion quota system in the Armed Forces of the Philippines, according to AFP chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang. In a letter to Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, he requested that the 30 percent promotion quota – which means that only 30 percent of those eligible for promotion in a given year will actually be promoted – in the Army be raised to 50 percent. Under the military’s attrition law, middle-grade officers …

  • Philippines backs support for small enterprises at APEC meet

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top trade official on Saturday called for support for the integration of micro, small and medium enterprises in global trade, which he said would help reduce poverty and inequality in the Asia-Pacific region. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options