Donald closes in on Scottish Open lead, Mickelson finds form

World number one Luke Donald put himself back into winning contention after shooting a flawless second round 68 on Friday to be just three shots back in the defence of his Scottish Open title.

Donald birdied his second and third holes and then, after 13 straight pars, birdied his closing two holes to move to nine-under par, trailing Italy's Francesco Molinari (70) and Sweden's Alex Noren (66) who head the event on 12-under.

Donald has burst back into winning form in his first event since missing the halfway cut with a shock 11-over in last month's US Open.

"It was a nice way to finish with a couple of birdies and that puts me only three back," said Donald.

"My putter just went a bit cold there for a while and couldn't quite make some birdies when I needed but overall, it was a pretty stress-free day."

Donald will be seeking to win his second European Tour event in three tournaments and also become the first player to retain the Scottish Open.

"I came up here to Scotland to successfully defend and that is what I'm here for," he added.

"I'm working hard and also getting my game ready for next week."

Noren, who celebrated his 30th birthday on Thursday, is on target to secure one of the two remaining spots into next week's British Open.

The leading player within the top-five finishes -- and not already exempt -- in both the Scottish Open and the PGA Tour's John Deere Classic this week, will earn entry into golf's oldest Major.

However Noren's goal of contesting a fourth British Open is under threat by Argentina'a Ricardo Gonzalez and Italian teenager Matteo Manassero who both shot 64s to be tied in third place at 11-under.

They are also hoping to get into the British Open.

India's SSP Chowrasia (67), who is in fourth place on 10-under par, is also seeking to qualify.

Sharing sixth place on nine under par with Donald is 2009 Scottish Open winner, Martin Kaymer of Germany.

Kaymer birdied five of his opening seven holes in an eventual round of 68.

The German, who was ranked number one in the world in April last year, also has turned around recent poor form, including missing the cut in the US Open and finishing in the tail of the field in last week's French Open.

"It's a mind-set and belief in yourself, and knowing that I can play good golf," said Kaymer.

"It was just not happening this year, so far. But after having a good time off on Monday when I was back home in Dusseldorf, I got a little fortunate here and there, and then all of a sudden, you start off better than in the past."

Phil Mickelson posted the equal lowest round of the day, an eight under par 64, to move to seven under par and also return to form after missing the cut in both the US Open and last week's Greenbrier Classic.

The triple Major winning pair of Padraig Harrington (69) and Ernie Els (70) finished a respective six under par and four under par.

However, missing the cut was Scotland's Ryder Cup hopeful Paul Lawrie along with fellow Scots Colin Montgomerie and Sandy Lyle.

Also cut from the event was Korean American Kevin Na who received an invitation to contest his first-ever regular European Tour event.

And Paul Casey's wretched season continued with the English golfer posting a pair of 76s for an eight over par tally.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Bong wants to see son in hospital
    Bong wants to see son in hospital

    Detained Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. will ask the Sandiganbayan to allow him to visit his son, Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla, confined at the intensive care unit of the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa for a gunshot wound in the chest. Lawyer Raymond Fortun, spokesman for the Revilla family, said the senator would ask for a 24- to 48-hour furlough. Sen. Revilla’s legal counsel Ramon Esguerra said doctors removed a half liter of blood. Fortun said he was able to talk to Jolo …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options