Military official, wife and two police officers confirmed positive for COVID-19

Marje Pelayo
Military official, wife and two police officers confirmed positive for COVID-19

MANILA, Philippines – A military official and two police officers have tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19), military and police authorities revealed Wednesday (March 24).

According to Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff General Felimon Santos Jr. confirmed that a military official and his wife contacted novel coronavirus.

General Santos confirmed that the couple had recently travelled overseas though the AFP Chief refused to reveal further details.

The couple has been confined in isolation at the V. Luna Medical Center in Quezon City since March 15.

The AFP leadership has ordered contact tracing to identify the persons with whom the couple interacted.

General Santos said that even though he is currently on self-quarantine — as he himself had interacted with the official in one of their conferences —his condition is stable.

All gates at the AFP Headquarters have been closed except for two gates to closely monitor all individuals entering the camp and curb further infection.

Meanwhile, a member of Manila Police District also tested positive for COVID-19.

This was confirmed by National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Chief Police Major General Debold Sinas on Wednesday saying the police officer has been considered a patient under investigation (PUI) in March 17.

All persons who had close contact with the Manila cop have been ordered to self-quarantine.

Disinfection was also rendered to the station were the positive case was assigned.

Likewise, one personnel from the Philippine National Police (PNP) Chaplain Service also tested positive for COVID-19.

PNP General Hospital Spokesperson Police Major Duds Santos said the patient is now confined in isolation at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City after he was released from the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

 “Improving condition. He was critical a few days ago. Now, wala na siyang life support tinanggal na, (His life support has been taken off),” Santos told reporters.

The patient, Santos said, had no travel history abroad but had interaction with two foreign visitors from Europe.

“We did 100 percent contact tracing with that particular patient,” Santos assured.

“So all of them finished their quarantine because they started March 8. We quarantined them for 14 days and then (they completed on) March 22,“ he concluded. MNP (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

The post Military official, wife and two police officers confirmed positive for COVID-19 appeared first on UNTV News.