Minority divided over pork barrel

Manila, Philippines -- Lawmakers are united on several issues, but one thing divides them--the pork barrel.

Minority lawmakers are divided over the proposed abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) with the seven-man Makabayan bloc refusing to forego their pork barrel allocation.

Minority Leader Ronaldo Zamora said minority lawmakers have no common position over the abolition of the pork barrel system pushed by the Makabayan bloc but they are pushing for a probe on the pork barrel scam which involved members of both houses of Congress. He said they would file a resolution next week to pursue the House investigation on the PDAF scam.

"We want to get to the bottom of this," he told reporters.

When pressed if they are ready to give up their PDAF, Alliance of Concerned Teachers party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio said, "Kung ngayong di pa tinatanggal eh, di pa kami nakakatanggap."

The Makabayan bloc did not get a single cent from the PDAF during the Arroyo administration. But records showed they began receiving their pork allocation after President Benigno S. Aquino III assumed office in June 2010. "We are calling on our colleagues to take position on abolishing the PDAF and not just foregoing the funds," Tinio said.

Isabela Rep. Rodito Albano rushed in defense of Tinio, saying that the real issue is the "misuse" of PDAF and not the Makabayan bloc's grip on their allocation.

"Ang laban dito ay misuse ng pork barrel.Hindi naman sila ang nag-iimplement nito. Ma-iimplement ang PDAF sa ayaw at gusto nila. Hindi usapin dito kung tatanggapin nila o hindi," he said.

Zamora agreed with his colleagues, saying that "what we need is transparency in the system."

The P2.268-trillion national budget for 2014 proposed by the Aquino administration allocates P27 billion in PDAF for members of Congress.

The law provides that each House member can P70 million PDAF for pet projects or causes. Of the total figure, P35 million are intended for soft projects such as education and health assistance and P35 million is channeled to infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges and classrooms.

Meanwhile, Senator Miriam Santiago has filed a resolution seeking to phase out the PDAF to give members of the Senate and the House time to adjust to a time when they will no longer have pork barrel.

In filing Senate Resolution No. 133, Santiago said a proposal to abolish the pork barrel would be vehemently opposed by many members of Congress. "This is why the second best solution is to gradually phase out the PDAF. This will give senators and congressmen time to adjust to the new rules," she said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options