Lives may have been lost during the strong earthquake that shook Cebu and Bohol Tuesday, but life also sprung anew amid the panic and chaos.
A baby boy was born at a covered court outside a Cebu City hospital, as patients were evacuated following the 7.2-magnitude tremor.
Katrina Tabanao delivered her son Kurt Jethro at 9:11 a.m., only minutes after the tremors caused alarm in several areas in the Visayas, the Cebu Freeman said.
Tabanao recalled that she was six centimeters through labor when the ground began to shake. She had been rushed to the Cebu City Medical Center at around 5 a.m.
Hospital authorities have then ordered the evacuation of patients, including pregnant women, into a fire department compound just outside the hospital, the report said.
Temporary delivery rooms have also been set up, but Tabanao, the widow of slain radioman Jessie Tabanao, gave birth to her second child on a stretcher.
Tabanao went home with her baby boy soon after delivery, the report noted, adding that the hospital would still have to undergo a structural assessment.
Aside from the Cebu City Medical Center, other hospitals in areas affected b the earthquake also had to evacuate hundreds of patients and attend to the shock’s victims.
Dozens have been reported dead due to the earthquake, which also destroyed homes and other structures, including old churches and other famed heritage sites.
As US aircraft carrier USS Ronald Regan began its journey to Asian waters amid China’s power flexing in the region, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin would try to hear directly from his US counterpart how far America is willing to go to aid its long-time ally against China’s threatening moves in disputed waters. Gazmin flew to Hawaii last Monday to attend ceremonies for the turnover of leadership of the United States Pacific Command (USPACOM) from Admiral Samuel Locklear to Admiral Harry …