MNLF frees Zamboanga City police chief; 23 rebels surrender

(Updated 3:35 a.m., 18 September 2013) Zamboanga City police chief Senior Superintendent Jose Chiquito Malayo, who was abducted by Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters early Tuesday, was released later in the day, officials said. "It's confirmed, he (Malayo) was released at 5:45 p.m. in Mampang (village)," said Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, commander of the military's 7th Civil Relations Group. Cabunoc said Malayo's three escorts who were abducted with him were also released. Interior and Local Governments Secretary Mar Roxas said the police chief also managed to convince 23 MNLF fighters to surrender to authorities. "I am pleased to inform you that Zambo City director Senior Superintendent Chiquito Malayo has successfully convinced 23 MNLF fighters to come into the fold of the law. He and the 23 are en route back from Barangay Mampang being escorted by Regional Director chief Chief Superintendent Boy Vano," Roxas said in a text message. The MNLF agreed to free Malayo on the condition that the government would allow rebels to surrender safely, a report on "24 Oras" said, citing sources from the police. The "24 Oras" report showed Malayo inside a coaster together with the MNLF members. A statement from the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Malayo was negotiating for the release of several civilian hostages at a mangrove area in Barangay Mampang when the rebels held him at gunpoint. Abducted? However, Malayo adamantly denied that he had been abducted. Rather, he had walked into the MNLF lines in order to ask them to release the hostages and for them to stop fighting "Kasi hindi namani nila alam na ito ang patutunguhan," said Malayo in interview on GMA 7's "Saksi". "Gusto na nilang bumalik ng Basilan. Wala lang masakyan. "We talked kung papaano ma-settle yan." Reports had said that some of the MNLF fighters had no idea they were going to engage with military forces. They were recruited for a peace rally and to raise their flag at the Zamboanga City Hall. Others said they were promised P10,000, while some MNLF gunmen claimed to have been kept in the dark until landing in the city and were handed rifles. 70% reclaimed Malayo's abduction marked the ninth day of the armed conflict in Zamboanga City. The standoff started Monday last week when MNLF rebels loyal to their founding chairman Nur Misuari seized several villages and held dozens of residents hostage. On Tuesday, after eight days of sporadic clashes that left over 50 people dead, the military said 70 percent of the areas occupied by the rebels has been reclaimed. "In the areas where they (rebels) were both holding out in the past, 70 percent of that is now under government control," Brig. Gen. Domingo Tutaan said at a press briefing. Sought for clarification, Tutaan told GMA News Online that he was referring to the "previously occupied positions" spread out in five barangays – Santa Catalina, Santa Barbara, Rio Hondo, Talon-Talon, and Mariki. By Monday, September 16, at least 51 MNLF rebels have been killed, although there were unverified reports that 20 more fighters have died from clashes with government forces, Tutaan said. At least 64 have either surrendered or have been captured as of Tuesday morning, he added. On the other hand, the military has rescued 123 hostages Tuesday morning, public affairs chief Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala said. On the government side, six soldiers and three policemen were killed while 98 were hurt. The clashes also left seven civilians dead and 36 others wounded. Thousands of evacuees have fled their homes and sought shelter at the city stadium because of the conflict. — KBK/YA/DVM, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options