Most illegal logging 'hot spots' located in 'Pablo'-hit provinces — DENR chief

About 80 percent of the remaining illegal logging “hot spots” in the country are located in the provinces hardest hit by Typhoon Pablo, which left a trail of devastation in the Visayas and Mindanao, Environment Secretary Ramon Paje said Thursday.

Paje said the remaining hot spots are concentrated in Region 13 (Caraga Region) and Region 11 (Davao Region), which includes Compostela Valley, where the highest number of fatalities from Typhoon Pablo was recorded.

Related story: 'Open your eyes': typhoon-hit Philippines tells climate meet

“This is now proving that total log ban is right,” Paje said. “Several quarters are criticizing the declaration of a total log ban, but look at what happened?”

He was referring to Executive Order 23 that President Benigno Aquino III issued in February 2011.

The order stopped all authorized logging operations in natural forests nationwide, virtually halting timber extraction of about 300 million board feet a year.

Paje said the implementation of EO 23 has drastically reduced the illegal logging hot spots to 31 from a high of 197.

In other news: IMF officials says PH may grow 6% this year

Disaster management officials said over 300 died from “Pablo,” most of them from New Bataan town in Compostela Valley.

Hundreds more were still missing as of Thursday afternoon. Paje said the tragedy shows “that we really must stop timber harvesting especially in our natural forests.”

Task force Aside from the presence of communist insurgents in the illegal logging hot spots, Paje said they also have to deal with fully-armed groups employed by the illegal loggers.

“That’s why lately, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin and myself, and the chiefs of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police, signed a resolution converting the anti-illegal logging operations in Mindanao into a military operation,” he said.

Also read: China ready to 'communicate' over new passports

Resolution No. 2012-005 of the Anti-Illegal Logging Task Force (AILTF) empowers the military to monitor illegal mining in Mindanao. The military-led anti-illegal logging drive will begin this month.

“We have requested the military to take the lead because the groups in these areas are armed and we have lost so many employees already in these areas. Good thing the AFP has agreed and starting this month, the anti-illegal logging campaign is now a military operation in Mindanao,” he said. — KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options