MANILA, Philippines – The smoke emission incident at a Metro Rail Transit line 3 (MRT-3) train that prompted the unloading of some 530 passengers at northbound Santolan Station on Nov. 4 was due to a short circuit, its operator said Thursday.
In a statement, the MRT-3 management said a short circuit in one of the traction motors (broken bearing cover) caused the incident according to the investigation of its maintenance provider Sumitomo.
“It also showed on the affected parts that high current flowed in the circuit, causing significant damage to the electrical box and adjacent parts,” it said.
To prevent the recurrence of such incident, the MRT-3 management said it has placed countermeasures such as crack testing on bearing cover of traction assembly, checking of protecting device during emergency and regular maintenance, thorough cleaning of electrical boxes and insulation tests on high voltage cables.
“We appeal to the riding public’s understanding while the massive rehabilitation of MRT-3 system is ongoing,” it said.
The post MRT-3 says train smoke emission due to short circuit in traction motor appeared first on UNTV News.