Murdoch unfit to run global company, say UK lawmakers

Rupert Murdoch is not fit to lead a major global company, British lawmakers said in a scathing report Tuesday, accusing him of "wilful blindness" over the News of the World phone-hacking scandal.

Parliament's influential culture committee said Murdoch's US-based News Corporation media empire had misled lawmakers and added that the 81-year-old tycoon and his son James should take corporate responsibility.

News Corp. said the comments on Australian-born Murdoch were "unjustified and highly partisan" and pointed out that the committee itself was split on whether to include the remarks.

The long-awaited report was the result of hearings that started shortly after the News of the World, Britain's biggest selling and most controversial newspaper, shut last July amid public outrage.

"Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," concluded the 121-page report.

"News International and its parent News Corporation exhibited wilful blindness, for which the companies' directors -- including Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch -- should ultimately be prepared to take responsibility."

The report was unanimous in singling out three ex-Murdoch aides -- former News International executive chairman Les Hinton, News of the World editor Colin Myler and legal manager Tom Crone -- for deliberately misleading parliament.

But it was divided on whether to include the comments on Murdoch.

Four committee members from Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative party refused to approve them, but five opposition Labour members joined forces with the sole Liberal Democrat member to push them through.

Conservative committee member Louise Mensch said the report would "correctly be seen as 'partisan'" and that it had "lost a very great deal of its credibility".

Rupert Murdoch later admitted in a message to News International staff that the report made for difficult reading.

"For all of us -- myself in particular -- it is difficult to read many of the report's findings," Murdoch told staff in an email.

"But we have done the most difficult part, which has been to take a long, hard and honest look at our past mistakes."

A News Corp. statement said the panel had highlighted some "hard truths" and that the company had "acted on the failings documented in the report".

"News Corporation regrets, however, that the Select Committee's analysis of the factual record was followed by some commentary that we, and indeed several members of the committee, consider unjustified and highly partisan," it said.

News Corp. shares were up 1.61 percent at $19.92 in afternoon trading in New York.

Hinton, a Murdoch aide for almost half a century who resigned as head of News Corp.'s Dow Jones unit last year, Myler, who is now editor of the New York Daily News, and Crone all rejected the panel's findings.

Murdoch shut the News of the World in July 2011 as the phone-hacking scandal exploded with revelations that the tabloid had accessed the voicemails of a murdered schoolgirl.

Rupert and James, 39 -- who quit as executive chairman of News International in February -- both gave evidence to the committee on July 19. Murdoch senior was attacked with a shaving foam pie by a comedian during the hearing.

The 121-page report released on Tuesday accused News International of instinctively trying to "cover up rather than seek out wrongdoing and discipline the perpetrators".

"Corporately, the News of the World and News International misled the committee about the true nature and extent of the internal investigations they professed to have carried out in relation to phone hacking," it said.

While it did not directly accuse the Murdochs of misleading the committee, it had harsh words for the Australian-born tycoon.

"If at all relevant times Rupert Murdoch did not take steps to become fully informed about phone hacking, he turned a blind eye and exhibited wilful blindness to what was going on in his companies and publications," it said.

Murdoch himself had pinned the blame on Myler and Crone when he appeared before a separate judicial inquiry in London last week, saying that he too was the victim of a "cover-up" at the News of the World.

Murdoch's empire still comprises The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times newspapers in Britain, and the Wall Street Journal and Fox News in the United States.

Phone hacking at the News of the World came to the fore in the trial of its royal correspondent Clive Goodman and Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator, who were jailed in 2007 for illegally accessing voicemails.

Scotland Yard reopened an investigation in January 2011 and more than 40 people have been arrested. News International has paid millions of pounds in compensation to hacking victims.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States said it will never be deterred by "acts of violence" as the ambassador was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options