N. Korea to 'completely review' nuclear issue

North Korea said Friday it had no choice but to "completely review" the nuclear issue after accusing the United States and South Korea over a plot to blow up a statue of its founding leader.

The foreign ministry did not elaborate on what was meant by a review, but it will add to concerns Pyongyang may be planning to conduct a third nuclear test following its failed rocket launch in April.

Last month the North said it had no plans "at present" to conduct such a test.

The threat of a nuclear review came after the North arrested a man who was allegedly trying to blow up a monument to Kim Il-Sung, an act which the foreign ministry described as a "war action as serious as the armed invasion".

Pyongyang claimed South Korean intelligence authorities had hired him to carry out the plot and that Washington was actively involved.

"The consistent hostile policy towards the DPRK (North Korea) pursued by the US is giving rise to the evil cycle of confrontation and tensions on the Korean Peninsula, making the prospect of denuclearising the peninsula all the more gloomy," the foreign ministry said in a statement released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

"The situation compels us to completely review the nuclear issue."

The statement said the plot ran counter to a 2005 deal under which Pyongyang agreed to dismantle its nuclear programme in return for economic and diplomatic benefits and security guarantees.

Six-party talks on implementing the deal have been stalled since December 2008.

"This is a message urging Washington to change its pressure and hostile policy towards Pyongyang," Yang Moo-Jin of the University of North Korean Studies, told AFP.

"North Korea is not expected to translate its threat into action for a while. But it is saying it can take action if the United States continues to ignore its calls."

The official position of the North, which has been developing nuclear weapons for decades, is that it needs them for self-defence against a US nuclear threat, but that it is willing in principle to scrap the atomic weaponry.

In 2006 and 2009 the North reacted to UN sanctions imposed following rocket launches by carrying out nuclear tests.

Seoul Friday confirmed the man who was arrested in the North was a defector who had settled in the South.

Jon Yong-Chol was presented at a press conference in Pyongyang Thursday where he said he had been promised handsome rewards from South Korean agents if he succeeded in his mission.

Jon, in his early 50s, claimed he had been recruited by agents after settling in the country, KCNA reported, an allegation flatly denied by the South's National Intelligence Agency.

According to KCNA he said he twice visited China's northeastern city of Yanji -- in March and May this year -- where he was taught by South Korean agents how to use an explosive device that could be set off by mobile phone.

He was arrested last month after entering an unspecified North Korean city near the Chinese border in an attempt to familiarise himself with the site of a statue dedicated to Kim Il-Sung.

The South's Unification Ministry confirmed Friday that Jon was a former defector, who arrived in the South in 2010, but described his allegations as "groundless propaganda".

On Monday Pyongyang accused South Korea and the United States of using defectors to destroy statues and monuments dedicated to its late leaders.

More than 23,500 refugees have settled in the South since the 1950-53 Korean War. The North customarily describes defectors to the South as "human scum" who betrayed their country.

North Korea, whose personality cult surrounding its ruling family is like a state religion, has built numerous monuments for its late founding leader Kim Il-Sung who died in 1994 and his son Kim Jong-Il who died last December.

In April two giant statues of Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il were unveiled in Pyongyang, just hours after the North's failed rocket launch.

The foreign ministry statement comes after Kim Jong-Un was named as Marshal of North Korea this week, amid a reshuffle of senior figures seen as a means of cementing his grip over the 1.2-million-strong military.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sandigan OKs hospital stay for GMA co-accused
    Sandigan OKs hospital stay for GMA co-accused

    The Sandiganbayan has allowed a government official, accused with plunder along with former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to undergo a medical procedure at a hospital tomorrow. The anti-graft court permitted former Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) board member Benigno Aguas to undergo a cardiopulmonary/endocrine clearance at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City. …

  • Sandigan recommends executive clemency for ex-envoy
    Sandigan recommends executive clemency for ex-envoy

    The Sandiganbayan has recommended executive clemency for a former Philippine ambassador to Nigeria who was sentenced to 52 years for malversation of public funds. The Sandiganbayan First Division found Masaranga Umpa guilty of misusing the Assistance-To-Nationals Stand-by Funds totaling $80,478.80 in 2007, but the anti-graft court said the former assemblyman from Lanao del Norte should be pardoned. …

  • Stargazing at the mall highlights Earth Hour
    Stargazing at the mall highlights Earth Hour

    It was a night of stargazing in 58 SM Supermalls all over the country last night as these establishments participated in Earth Hour, an annual worldwide movement encouraging communities and establishments to switch off lights for one hour to raise global awareness of overuse of non-renewable resources. The Philippines has been an active participant of Earth Hour since 2008. Last night, in the province of Bulacan, for instance, all parishes, diocesan institutions, schools and household …

  • Payanig privatization hit
    Payanig privatization hit

    BLEMP Commercial of the Philippines, Inc. (BLEMP) denounced the recent announcement of the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) to privatize the 18.4-hectare “Payanig sa Pasig” property. In a statement sent to The STAR, BLEMP lawyer Dennis Manalo said the PCGG has no right to auction the property because it has no valid title and is not in possession. The PCGG has not paid a single centavo in real property taxes for the property, he said. He narrated that it was in the early 70s …

  • New species of tarantula found
    New species of tarantula found

    Scientists from the Museum of Natural History (MNH) of the University of the Philippines-Los Baños have discovered a new species of cave-dwelling tarantula on an island off the coast of Quezon. The new species of the spider, Phlogiellus kwebaburdeos, was described in the recent issue of the Philippine Journal of Systematic Biology by MNH curators for spiders Aimee Lynn Dupo and Alberto Barrion along with their former student Joseph Rasalan. The tarantula was discovered by Rasalan during one …

  • Palm Sunday: Do not add to suffering of others
    Palm Sunday: Do not add to suffering of others

    As Christendom enters Holy Week today, Palm Sunday, an official of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) yesterday called on the faithful not to add to the sufferings of their fellowmen. Jerome Secillano, executive secretary of the CBCP-Episcopal Commission on Public Affairs (ECPA), said that while Palm Sunday is oftentimes remembered as the glorious arrival of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, it also signals the start of the Holy Week that tells of His suffering, death and …

  • Miriam pushes tougher graft law
    Miriam pushes tougher graft law

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago has filed a bill that would make public officials liable for violations of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act even if they are elected to a fresh term or a new position. In filing Senate Bill 2716, Santiago sought to address what she said was the doctrine of condonation in Philippine jurisprudence brought about by the 2010 case of Salumbides vs. Ombudsman. “By merely asserting the doctrine of condonation, erring elective officials are automatically given a …

  • Phl hits back at China over sea infra work
    Phl hits back at China over sea infra work

    The Philippines assailed China yesterday for contesting Manila’s planned repair and maintenance works on some islands in the West Philippine Sea, saying they are “in no way comparable” to the Asian power’s massive reclamation activities which are in violation of international laws. “The Philippines’ possible undertaking of necessary maintenance and repairs on its existing facilities in the West Philippine Sea, over which the Philippines rightfully exercises sovereignty, sovereign rights and …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options