N. Korea, US signal openness to diplomatic solutions

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) -

North Korea and the United States are walking a tightrope on signalling willingness to defuse tension diplomatically following Pyongyang's firing of a long-range rocket last month.

US officials said Wednesday that Washington will consider offering food aid to Pyongyang if the destitute country changes course and makes no additional provocations.

While portraying its nuclear programme as a "self-defence" measure, the North said Tuesday it has no plan for an atomic test for now and remains open to dialogue.

"I think the precondition is that North Koreans has to demonstrate that it is going to refrain from those types of provocative actions and they are serious about moving in a different direction," Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser for strategic communications at the White House, told a news conference in Washington.

Glyn Davies, US special envoy on North Korea, indicated Wednesday that food assistance may return to the table if the North changes its attitude.

"I think, as you all know, the United States has been historically very generous when it comes to the provision of nutritional assistance," Davies told reporters in Beijing after meetings with his counterpart Wu Dawei and other Chinese officials. He also met with Lim Sung-nam of South Korea and Shinsuke Sugiyama of Japan in Seoul on Monday.

"And should the opportunity present itself, if we can reach a stage where we can once again have faith in the North Koreans' ability to abide by its undertakings and its promises, we would like very much to get back to the provision of nutritional assistance," he added.

Koh Yu-hwan, a North Korea professor at Dongguk University in Seoul, said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un should feel the need to ease the tension to ensure a soft landing for his fledgling regime.

"Both North Korea and the US are now groping for ways to pursue talks, rather than confrontation, within the bounds of international settlements," he told The Korea Herald.

Bonnie Glaser, a China expert at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, cautioned against hasty assumptions, citing "so many variables involved".

"The pattern of this issue in the past is that the international community seeks to punish North Korea with UN sanctions (after rocket launches and nuclear tests), but eventually returns to the negotiating table," she said in an e-mail.

Speculation is rising that senior US officials made a secret visit to Pyongyang a week before the April 13 launch in an apparent bid to dissuade the authoritarian regime from the plan.

Chosun Ilbo cited diplomatic sources as saying that a US Air Force Boeing 737 flew from Guam to Pyongyang on Apr. 7, carrying Sydney Seiler, a National Security Council adviser to President Barack Obama, and Joseph DeTrani, director of the National Counterproliferation Centre.

DeTrani arranged former US President Bill Clinton's trip to Pyongyang in August 2009 to help release two female American journalists.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Cho Byung-jae and State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland refused to comment.

The failed rocket triggered the revocation of the so-called Leap Day Deal between Pyongyang and Washington. The cash-strapped North agreed on February 29 to put a moratorium on its nuclear and missile programs in exchange for 240,000 tonnes of food aid.

Still, tensions remain high on the Korean Peninsula. New satellite imagery suggests that North Korea has recently upgraded its old rocket launch site in the northeastern town of Musudan and undertaken mining and excavation activity at its nuclear test site in Punggye.

"We no longer have any confidence in any of the commitments that they've made since they've already abrogated the major ones. So I'm not sure what there is to implement, given the fact that North Korea itself started this process of abrogation," Nuland said at a press briefing on Tuesday.

Hong Hyun-ik, a senior researcher at Sejong Institute, said the two sides are trying to put their relationship back into orbit and run their dialogue channels again.

"It has actually never left its orbit but has simply been through a seemingly cooling-off period. There will come soon moves toward a new round of six-party talks or a bilateral meeting," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

  • DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12
    DepEd, TESDA tie up for K to 12

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has partnered with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in the first two years of implementation of the K to 12 program. “We will use TESDA centers as technical-vocational laboratories for senior high school,” DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said during the inauguration of 30 new classrooms at the Tarlac National High School yesterday. The classrooms were constructed in partnership with the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. …

  • SE Asia Stocks-Philippine falls on foreign selling; others flat to weaker

    BANGKOK, April 17 (Reuters) - Southeast Asian stock markets ended flat to weaker on Friday as Philippine stocks slid on selling led by foreign funds and Singapore shares extended losses with investors ... …

  • Philippine Airlines parent says back in black
    Philippine Airlines parent says back in black

    Philippine Airlines' parent firm said it had returned to profitability, the first time in three years either entity reported being in the black for an entire year. In a filing with the Philippine Stock Exchange Thursday, PAL Holdings reported an after-tax net profit of 129.74 million pesos ($2.93 million) in its fiscal year to December 31. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options