National Newsbits for July 18, 2013

HAPPY WORKERS

Despite some reports about abuses committed against Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), Vice President Jejomar C. Binay has maintained that majority of the more than 10 million Filipino workers abroad are happy with their working conditions. Binay, Presidential Adviser on OFW Concerns, said the problem usually lies among the unskilled and undocumented workers. He said 12 to 15 percent of the more than 10 million OFWs the world over are made up of unskilled and domestic workers. "The remaining 85 percent are professionals. Masasarap ang buhay 'nun, ang tataas ng suweldo 'nun," Binay said. (JC Bello Ruiz)

T.V.E.T. ASSESSORS

More assessors for technical vocational education and training (TVET) are needed for the implementation of the Kindergarten to 12 (K-to-12) program. Come 2016, the government projects some 1.2 million students who will enter senior high school, or Grades 11 and 12, of the Department of Education (DepEd). Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) Secretary Joel J. Villanueva said even if only 30 percent of them, or about 300,000, would take technical vocational (tech-voc) courses, it would be difficult for the present number of 9,679 TVET assessors to handle them. (Edd K. Usman)

LALUCES BACK

The former chairman of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will assume a new government position nearly two years after quitting his old job. President Benigno S. Aquino III has appointed Nelson Laluces as new deputy director general of the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines. Laluces, a lawyer by profession, will replace Andrew Michael Ong at the help of the country's intellectual property office with a term until December 31, 2017. Laluces is reportedly a former law school classmate of Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. His appointment to the IPO, an agency attached to the Department of Trade and Industry, was announced by Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda in a Palace press briefing. (Genalyn Kabiling)

LIM TO B.I.?

It seems like Customs Deputy Commissioner Danilo Lim is on the way out, again. This time he is being eyed to take over the Bureau of Immigration portfolio. Talks are rife in the Bureau of Customs (BOC) that Lim could be the possible replacement of former BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr., whose resignation was announced by Malacañang the other day. "The loudest whisper at BOC is that he will be appointed as the new BI commissioner after President Aquino's State of the Nation Address (SONA)," an informed source from the Intelligence Group said. (Raymund Antonio)

JACKPOT UNCLAIMED

Do you have the lucky ticket that matched the numbers 41-40-30-10-32-21 drawn on July 11 for Super Lotto 6/49 with the jackpot of P88.2-million jackpot? The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) is waiting for you to claim your life-changing fortune. PCSO General Manager Jose Ferdinand M. Rojas II said that as of yesterday the winner has not claimed the jackpot. "The PCSO is still waiting for the winner to come forward," he said, adding that the prize is fully-tax-free. (Edd K. Usman)

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • What can void a new car warranty? James Deakin - Wheel Power
    What can void a new car warranty?

    "I was denied warranty once for changing my horn!" One very annoyed reader wrote. "I was told that placing a backup camera will void my warranty" said another. The others are best left in my private inbox as Yahoo! have a swear jar in the office that I do not feel like donating this week's pay to. Continue reading → …

  • Docu exposes destruction of PH marine resources VERA Files - The Inbox
    Docu exposes destruction of PH marine resources

    By Kiersnerr Gerwin B. Tacadena, VERA Files “Gutom (hunger),” Sen. Loren Legarda said is what’s in store for the Filipino people if destruction of the country's marine resources is not stopped. Legarda, chair of the Senate committee on Environment and Natural … Continue reading → …

  • ‘Yolanda’ fiberglass boats modern-day Noah’s ark VERA Files - The Inbox
    ‘Yolanda’ fiberglass boats modern-day Noah’s ark

    By Jane Dasal, VERA Files If you want to save the earth, build a boat. That's what a group of environmentalists is saying, especially if you want to save both the forests and fishermen affected by supertyphoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan). “Haiyan … Continue reading → …

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options