MANILA, Philippines – The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) on Friday said it has identified areas in Metro Manila where checkpoints will be put up for the implementation of the month-long community quarantine starting Sunday, March 15.
In an exclusive report on UNTV’s Ito Ang Balita by correspondent Lea Ylagan, the NCRPO said checkpoints will be set up in major thoroughfares, exit and entry points of Metro Manila.
The checkpoints will be manned by police officers with the help of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
The areas which will be monitored by the police and military are as follows:
- Radial Road 1 – Roxas Boulevard, Manila–Cavite Expressway; City of Manila–Cavite
- Radial Road 2 – Taft Avenue in Manila, Aguinaldo Highway in Dasmariñas; City of Manila–Batangas
- Radial Road 3 – South Luzon Expressway in Muntinlupa, STAR Tollway, Tanauan City, Batangas; City of Manila–Batangas
- Radial Road 4 – Kalayaan Avenue in Olympia, Makati, Kalayaan Avenue in Fort Bonifacio, Makati; City of Manila–Rizal
- Radial Road 5 – Shaw Boulevard, Ortigas Avenue Extension in Cainta; City of Manila–Laguna
- Radial Road 6 – Magsaysay Boulevard, Marikina–Infanta Highway in Marikina; City of Manila–Quezon
- Radial Road 7 – España Boulevard, Commonwealth Avenue, City of Manila–Bulacan
- Radial Road 8 – Dimasalang Street, North Luzon Expressway in Balintawak, Quezon City; City of Manila–La Union
- Radial Road 9 – Rizal Avenue, MacArthur Highway in Pampanga; City of Manila–La Union
- Radial Road 10 – Mel Lopez Boulevard; City of Manila–Bataan
The following Circumferential Roads in the cities of Manila, Makati, Malabon, Taguig as well as in Bulacan and Bacoor, Cavite will also be monitored by authorities:
- Circumferential Road 1 City of Manila
- Circumferential Road 2 City of Manila
- Circumferential Road 3 Makati-Navotas–Pasay
- Circumferential Road 4 Malabon–Pasay
- Circumferential Road 5 Taguig-Malabon-Parañaque
- Circumferential Road 6 Marilao, Bulacan-Bacoor, Cavite
The NCRPO also said that checkpoint areas will also be set up in Expressway networks.
- E1 Quezon City to Rosario, La Union
- E2 Makati to Batangas City and Muntinlupa to Bacoor
- E3 Parañaque to Kawit
- E5 Quezon City to Caloocan
- E6 Parañaque to Pasay
According to NCRPO director Police Major General Debold Sinas, cops manning the checkpoints will be provided with complete gear to protect them against the virus.
“Our people will be equipped ng mga needed [gears] kagaya ng mask, gloves, plus we will place police line in all the entry points,” he said.
The military, for its part, said it will provide assistance to the PNP in manning the checkpoints.
“The AFP will be in support to the PNP in terms of manpower. They will lead the checkpoints. We will augment them as necessary,” AFP chief of staff General Felimon Santos Jr.
President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday announced that Metro Manila will be placed on community quarantine effective midnight of March 15 until April 14.
The declaration follows the raising of Code Red Sub-level 2 amid rising cases of novel coronavirus infections in the country.
During the month-long quarantine period, land, domestic air, and domestic sea travel to and from Metro Manila are suspended, subject to daily review of the government.
Work in the executive branch and classes in all levels in Metro Manila are also suspended.
Sinas, however, clarified that people from nearby cities and provinces who are working in Metro Manila will still be allowed entry as long as they present proof of employment – such as company ID – in designated checkpoints.
“Karamihan naman dito sa NCR ay hindi taga-NCR e, may taga-Cavite, taga-Bulacan kasi andoon ang mga bahay nila. Siguro, we’ll do the maximum tolerance tapos titingnan lang ang ID tapos pauuwiin kasi kung di mo pauwiin yan e san titira yan dito?” he said.
Private companies, however, are encouraged to implement a flexible work arrangement or a work from home set up for the meantime to protect their employees.
The NCRPO chief also said that the movement of people within Metro Manila will not be restricted as they can still go out to buy food and other necessities.
Mall and shop owners were earlier urged by authorities to continue operations. The delivery of goods and services will also be allowed as long as it follows regulations.
“Pwede naman yung goods and services basta dumaan ka sa checkpoint,” Sinas said.
Under the community quarantine, Foreign nationals from countries with localized COVID-19 transmissions will also be banned from entering the Philippines, except for permanent residents and diplomats.
Authorities said a clearer guidelines will be issued soon on the implementation of the community quarantine.
The Philippines has so far recorded more than 50 confirmed cases with five deaths. – RRD
The post NCRPO identifies checkpoint areas for Metro Manila quarantine appeared first on UNTV News.