News Corp mulls media, entertainment unit split

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp said Tuesday it was considering a "restructuring" that would split off its larger entertainment division from struggling publishing businesses.

The New York-based company confirmed reports earlier in the day and said the move would "separate its business into two distinct publicly traded companies."

The statement followed a report in The Wall Street Journal, one of the units of the global media-entertainment conglomerate, on the possible move.

News Corp shares jumped 8.3 percent in New York to close at $21.96 on the news.

Analysts said the move would separate the profitable film and television businesses from the news and media operations tainted by the phone-hacking scandal in Britain.

The carve-out would likely lead to one unit including 20th Century Fox movie studios, the Fox broadcast network and Fox News Channel, competing more directly against Disney, Time Warner and Comcast, which controls NBC Universal.

The company's publishing assets include The Wall Street Journal, New York Post, The Times of London and The Australian newspaper, as well as the HarperCollins book publishing house.

The Wall Street Journal report said the plan, if implemented, was not expected to change the Murdoch clan's effective control of any of the businesses, exercised through the family's roughly 40 percent voting stake in News Corp.

The possible restructuring follows the phone-hacking scandal in Britain that resulted in the closure of the company's flagship News of the World tabloid and the resignation of several senior executives.

In March, company president Chase Carey, seen as Murdoch's likely successor, acknowledged that some shareholders had talked to the company about spinning off the newspaper arm, but said it was "not a path we are pursuing."

Analyst Anthony DiClemente at Barclays said the publishing arm accounts for just seven percent of the value of the company and that a split could be positive.

"In our view, a spin-off would reduce the holding company discount in the stock and would allow investors to own a higher growth business without the slower growth publishing business and its associated liabilities," he said in a research note.

But he added that it was "unclear if spinning off the publishing business would ring-fence liabilities associated with the ongoing hacking investigation" or allow the group to carry out its plan for a full takeover of satellite broadcaster BSkyB, in which News Corp has a 39 percent stake.

"It could make it easier for News Corp to try and acquire the public (BSkyB) stake at a later date (but) we think common controlled ownership of both entities by the Murdoch family will remain an obstacle," the analyst said.

David Joyce at Miller Tabak said that the spinoff could take a year, but that it "would help Chase Carey focus on the entertainment assets and not be distracted by the lingering phone hacking scandal in the UK."

The New York Times reported the spinoff announcement may come as soon as this week, and that editors and publishers of the various units were attending a meeting in New York Tuesday to discuss the move.

The report said the new company may include The Wall Street Journal, The Times of London, The New York Post and dozens of other newspapers.

The Wall Street Journal said the matter could go to the News Corp board on Wednesday and that an announcement could be as early as Thursday. It said the Australian-born Murdoch and his family would keep control of both groups.

In the most recent quarter ended March 31, News Corp profit was up 47 percent to $937 million, as revenues rose two percent to $8.4 billion.

Cable operations and entertainment accounted for much of the profit.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options