Bomb attacks kill nine at Nigerian newspaper offices

A suicide attack at the Abuja bureau of a top Nigerian newspaper and an attempted car bombing at another of its offices killed nine people Thursday in the first such strikes on the country's media.

The second attack hit the northern city of Kaduna. Later in the day, a third, smaller bombing also occurred in the same city, leaving three people wounded.

The attack in the capital Abuja saw a suicide bomber drive into the back of the building belonging to ThisDay, one of the country's most prominent and influential papers.

Five people were killed, including the bomber, while eight were wounded at the privately-owned paper, ThisDay said in a statement, which called it an "attack on journalism."

In Kaduna, one of the main cities in the north, a bomb went off outside a complex housing a number of newspaper offices, including for ThisDay. An attacker also drove his car onto the premises, which later exploded.

Four people were killed in Kaduna, while 19 were wounded, a rescue official said on condition of anonymity.

Secret police said in a statement there were two people in the car in the Kaduna attack, with one caught by civilians as he sought to flee and handed over to authorities.

He was identified as Umaru Umaru Mustapha from Maiduguri, the base of Islamist group Boko Haram.

A purported spokesman for the Islamist group had recently made threats against news media outlets, saying they were being used by authorities to publish stories against Boko Haram.

President Goodluck Jonathan, currently attending a regional summit in Ivory Coast, condemned the attacks, as did the United States, saying that they targeted "free speech itself".

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that it was up to Nigeria to determine the culprits of the attacks but voiced solidarity with concerns about Boko Haram.

The US embassy in Nigeria warned last week that Boko Haram might be planning attacks against hotels or other areas in Abuja, but the government sought to downplay the concerns.

Thursday's loud blast in Abuja shook the area, sending smoke billowing into the air and causing panic, with memories of a suicide bombing of UN headquarters in the Nigerian capital in August still fresh.

"The suicide bomber came in a jeep," the chairman of ThisDay's editorial board, Olusegun Adeniyi, told reporters at the scene.

"(Security guards) opened the gate for them ... The guy drove in through the gate and rammed into the building and exploded."

The attack hit the area housing the printing press, some distance away from the newsroom, and blew the roof off there. The paper said the dead included a security guard, three passers-by and the bomber.

The newspaper is based in the economic capital Lagos, but has a major operation in the capital Abuja.

Its owner, Nduka Obaigbena, is a high-profile figure who sponsors glitzy events with speakers who have included ex-US president Bill Clinton, among others. Major pop stars have appeared at his festivals in Nigeria and elsewhere.

In Kaduna, witnesses reported a chaotic scene where an attacker threw a bomb outside a complex housing newspaper offices, while his car was driven onto the premises.

The bomb outside the premises exploded, while the car later detonated.

A secret police statement, which provided slightly different details than witnesses at the scene, said one of the suspects -- Mustapha -- exited the car with a bomb, which he threw at two people. The blast killed them, it said.

He later "pulled out a pistol and fired several shots in the air in an attempt to escape".

"He was however caught and subdued by brave members of the public who refused to be intimidated and handed him over to security forces," the statement said.

It did not say what happened to the second suspect mentioned in the statement.

An AFP correspondent reported that police fired shots at the car after it had been left and it exploded twice. Authorities were later said to have discovered three gas cylinders and other explosive devices inside the car.

The explosion that went off later in the day in Kaduna saw a suspected Boko Haram member plant a bomb on a road which wounded three people, an emergency official said.

Boko Haram's insurgency, mainly in northern Nigeria, has killed more than 1,000 people since mid-2009.

It claimed responsibility for an August suicide bombing of UN headquarters in Abuja that killed at least 25 people.

The group's deadliest attack yet occurred on January 20 in the northern city of Kano, the country's second-largest, when coordinated bombings and shootings killed at least 185 people.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer, is roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options