No bomb residue found at Serendra blast site

Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said Saturday that so far, initial investigation showed no indication that Friday night’s blast at a condominium unit in Two Serendra in Taguig was caused by a bomb.

Roxas said that three teams of bomb-sniffing dogs combed through the blast site and did not find any traces of fumes or residue usually found in bombs. 

“The dogs did not give indication that there were traces of a bomb or explosives,” he said during a press briefing held near the blast site. He added that so far no triggering device has been found either, even as he reiterated his appeal for the public to refrain from speculating.

Roxas clarified that the cause of the explosion was still being determined and that investigators are not ruling out anything at this point as they were still studying forensic evidence. He labeled the absence of bomb residue and a triggering device as “significant but not determinant”.

The blast ripped through Unit 501 of the posh condominium complex at around 8PM Friday night, killing three persons in a delivery van and injuring five others, including the owner of the unit, identified as a certain Mr. San Juan.

San Juan suffered burns on his body and is currently in the intensive care unit of St. Luke’s Medical Center, where he is reportedly in stable condition.

The victims were identified as Salvador Natividad, the van driver, Marlon Bandola and Jeffrey Umali. Taguig City mayor Lani Cayetano said that the city government would provide assistance to the families of the victims and affected residents.

There was some confusion early Saturday after the National Disaster and Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the death toll had risen to six, before retracting the statement and saying it was still three.

“There might have been miscommunication a while ago,” Roxas clarified. "Only three died.”

Asked why investigators labeled the site a crime scene last night, Roxas said “the presumption is it is a crime scene. We couldn't say if it was just an accident.”

Meanwhile, Ayala Land has submitted CCTV records of Two Serendra to investigators to aid them in constructing a timeline of events that transpired prior to the blast. ALI president Tony Aquino added that Two Serendra and nearby buildings have been evacuated and utilities turned off. Aside from Unit 501, ten other condominium units sustained damage in the 35-unit residential complex.

 

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States said it will never be deterred by "acts of violence" as the ambassador was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options